Native Brook Trout Reintroduction

silverfox

silverfox

I thought this was a pretty great video about WV DNR's conservation hatchery and reintroduction efforts. What a great way to get kids involved and teach them about native brook trout, the threats they face, and that its possible to bring them back in some waters. I think it reinforces to kids the importance of clean water and fixing legacy pollution or other environmental impacts to bring back brook trout.

What an awesome video, thanks for sharing. I wonder if PA is considering doing this as well?

There have been stream to stream ST transfers in SE Pa in a few cases of extirpation.

There have been stream to stream ST transfers in SE Pa in a few cases of extirpation.
Interesting, like stone run is the only reintroduction I was aware of. What streams or what watershed were the others in and how many?

Very nice video. Great to get the youngsters interested. That one native they showed was a MONSTER! If you read "The Vanishing Trout" by Charles Lose, he mentions that streams in that time held many brookies of that size.

Very nice video. Great to get the youngsters interested. That one native they showed was a MONSTER! If you read "The Vanishing Trout" by Charles Lose, he mentions that streams in that time held many brookies of that size.
Yeah, when he said "this is what they were catching 60 years ago" it hit hard. Seems like a well-designed program. They're stream-spawning and only rearing the offspring to fingerling size. I like too that they're looking at the genetics to make sure they're using "heritage strain" fish. WV DNR seems like a pretty progressive fisheries agency. It sounds like they've got a lot of younger guys in there now which probably helps.

I absolutely love that book! Their camping trips sound so cool!

I absolutely love that book! Their camping trips sound so cool!
Me too! I've read it several times and it never gets old. It takes you back to a much more simple time in life, when things were still natural and unspoiled. Love it.

Wow just found this. Look what else WV is doing for native brook trout!

Their DNR actually follows EBTJV recommendations OMG lol.

Yeah, when he said "this is what they were catching 60 years ago" it hit hard. Seems like a well-designed program. They're stream-spawning and only rearing the offspring to fingerling size. I like too that they're looking at the genetics to make sure they're using "heritage strain" fish. WV DNR seems like a pretty progressive fisheries agency. It sounds like they've got a lot of younger guys in there now which probably helps.
Looks like in these special management waters it’s not only catch and release but they make a point to not stock them at ALL.

“The proposed plan includes designation of watersheds which are native brook trout waters, are not stocked with hatchery raised fish, have had some level of management or restoration work, and seem to have good support from anglers.”

Looks like in these special management waters it’s not only catch and release but they make a point to not stock them at ALL.

“The proposed plan includes designation of watersheds which are native brook trout waters, are not stocked with hatchery raised fish, have had some level of management or restoration work, and seem to have good support from anglers.”
"“They need to be a large, contiguous and well connected native brook trout watershed,” said Thorne. “This is a watershed idea based on a lot of the research I and other people have conducted. Connectivity between the tributaries and main stems is how we see increased growth in fish. They have larger habitat, more food available, and can move to different habitats during different parts of their life cycle.”"

I'll be darned. You don't say.

I think one of the problems we have in PA with these brook trout projects is that we don't have a large allopatric brook trout watershed that I'm aware of anywhere in the state. By itself, that's a problem in my opinion.

So in order for PA to do anything of this magnitude, we'd have to either eradicate or otherwise try to get rid of nonnative fish and/or stop stocking a larger stream. Even then, if it's connected to the Susquehanna or some other large river, I guess it's only a matter of time until these "migratory" nonnative fish reinvade it.

So maybe that's it then. It will just never happen here. 🤷‍♂️ You'd think in a state with more flowing water than any other state in the contiguous United States that we could spare a watershed for our state fish. Guess not though. Priorities.

I think one of the problems we have in PA with these brook trout projects is that we don't have a large allopatric brook trout watershed that I'm aware of anywhere in the state. By itself, that's a problem in my opinion.

So in order for PA to do anything of this magnitude, we'd have to either eradicate or otherwise try to get rid of nonnative fish and/or stop stocking a larger stream. Even then, if it's connected to the Susquehanna or some other large river, I guess it's only a matter of time until these "migratory" nonnative fish reinvade it.

So maybe that's it then. It will just never happen here. 🤷‍♂️ You'd think in a state with more flowing water than any other state in the contiguous United States that we could spare a watershed for our state fish. Guess not though. Priorities.
I’d be happy with even just C and R in a closed watershed like upper kettle and no stocking. You’d essentially lose rainbows immediately and could put no limit/mandatory dispatch on browns in a system that isn’t really a special brown trout fishery at all. I have hear multiple guides saying they don’t even care about the browns on kettle. As far as wild brown trout it’s not really a numbers fishery or a size fishery. Even just that would be something and there’s no question since it’s one of the hardest stocked streams in the state the brook trout would see a huge benefit.

Bucks County TU re-introduced ST to Aquetong Spring Creek in Solebury Township in 2017. 50 ST were caught in two isolated Lehigh tributaries and moved to Aquetong Ck. The creek is isolated from the Delaware by a mill dam in New Hope. Based on stream survey, there were no trout in Aquetong before the re-introduction. (Of course historically, there were ST in the stream.) Survey since the re-introduction confirm that the ST are reproducing.
The stream has a very interesting history. The Solebury historical society has a website with lots of info about the stream: SHS Aquetong Exhibit

WV sets the bar really high in terms of clean water. Elkhorn creek is an excellent example.

Bucks County TU re-introduced ST to Aquetong Spring Creek in Solebury Township in 2017. 50 ST were caught in two isolated Lehigh tributaries and moved to Aquetong Ck. The creek is isolated from the Delaware by a mill dam in New Hope. Based on stream survey, there were no trout in Aquetong before the re-introduction. (Of course historically, there were ST in the stream.) Survey since the re-introduction confirm that the ST are reproducing.
The stream has a very interesting history. The Solebury historical society has a website with lots of info about the stream: SHS Aquetong Exhibit
Wish PA fish and boat had the resources of Bucks county TU, then they could be doing reintroductions. Bucks county Tu has one more successful reintroduction than the commission. I’ve toured that site in all seriousness bucks county TU did an amazing job those guys get big time credit seriously. There are so many places in this state you could undam a nasty old spring pond soaking up the sun like that and do the same project.

WV sets the bar really high in terms of clean water. Elkhorn creek is an excellent example.
Yeah, some incredible "brown trout" in that river. Apparently, though, they're willing to put a lot of resources into conserving wild native brook trout. Credit where credit is due.

I find it very interesting that all of the proposed C&R streams were previously dead or declining from acid rain. Declines caused by man, and then reversed by man through limestone sand dosing, which requires maintenance. But no C&R for the streams that are natural brook trout factories with clean water.

Yeah, some incredible "brown trout" in that river. Apparently, though, they're willing to put a lot of resources into conserving wild native brook trout. Credit where credit is due.
Yes, and some of those "brown trout" can be seen being dumped directly into the Elkhorn from "soil pipes". ;) Never the less, that's a pretty amazing fishery!

Back