name that material

mute

mute

http://www.drakemag.com/phpbb3/download/file.php?id=879

http://www.drakemag.com/phpbb3/download/file.php?id=881

http://www.drakemag.com/phpbb3/download/file.php?id=878

http://www.drakemag.com/phpbb3/download/file.php?id=880

mute,
It's probably some webby feather from the base of a rump or side of a saddle. Kinda like the wiggle nymph pictured in the original post of that thread.

However, if it's something new, don't tell me what it is, because then I'll have to buy two in ever color.

Are you asking about the body material? Looks like that could be ostrich on the second picture. Maybe on the fourth as well.

Wing cases on some look like turkey. The first picture looks like turkey for body, wing case, and legs.

The backs are turkey tail covered with softex or some other glue.

Some do look like ostrich with an overlay of wire ribbing.

Fourth could have an ostrich rope for body. I've tied some that way. It seems to work for flies in the 12 - 16 range. (At least for me it seemed like the fibers were too long when I tried 18s.)

turkey quill fibers

dubbing

spun dubbing...(used a dubbing loop)

looks like dubbing clipped short

Alrighht so yo think the dubbed body is ostrich pubes then? And tom, from what i just looked up a dubbing loop is your normal rubbing the dubbing on the thread and looping it around the fly? I just thought these flies looked nice, or unique, which is why i wanna try to tie some clones.

I don't think you have the dubbing loop concept quite right, but who knows. They are really hard to explain.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/tyingtips/part144.html

No, to make a dubbing loop (which is how you dub the thorax on a hare's ear) you double up the thread and put a dubbing twister ( I use my whip finisher) in the bottom of the loop. The you place the dubbing between the tread strand and spin it so you have what looks like a kind of yarn...then you grab the bottom of the "yarn" you just made and wrap that...I'll see if I can find a link...

Heres a quick link to a dubbing loop

tomgamber wrote:
turkey quill fibers

dubbing

I would think if it was clipped many fibers would have squared ends. To me they look tapered. Very uniform length and thickness. I do agree that it could well be a dubbing loop.

Mute tie some up using a number of methods and see what you like. I recommend getting a copy of Jim Schollmeyer's "Nymph Fly-Tying Techniques". It describes many methods for tails, bodies, wing cases, etc.

tomgamber wrote:
No, to make a dubbing loop (which is how you dub the thorax on a hare's ear) you double up the thread and put a dubbing twister ( I use my whip finisher) in the bottom of the loop. The you place the dubbing between the tread strand and spin it so you have what looks like a kind of yarn...then you grab the bottom of the "yarn" you just made and wrap that...I'll see if I can find a link...

Heres a quick link to a dubbing loop

I take it you found the first link from google to suck too?

I think that may be the one you got, mute. When in doubt, the FAOL links are best.

tabasco_joe wrote:
tomgamber wrote:
turkey quill fibers

dubbing

I would think if it was clipped many fibers would have squared ends. To me they look tapered. Very uniform length and thickness. I do agree that it could well be a dubbing loop.

Mute tie some up using a number of methods and see what you like. I recommend getting a copy of Jim Schollmeyer's "Nymph Fly-Tying Techniques". It describes many methods for tails, bodies, wing cases, etc.

Yeah, thats why on that one I said "looks like"...not sure...

Thinking about dubbing; and I'm used to seeing it in detail since I tie with 4x reading glasses, all natural hair dubbing has at least one end cut that usually looks square. On the last three pictures I don't see any square fibers. I think many synthetic dubbings are spun and then chopped. So there aren't many dubbings that have both ends tapered. The micro or super fine might.

Anyway Mute there are a number of dubbings that can give the same look even if not an exact duplicate.

the last 3 are definitly fur of some sorts..I would have to say in a loop...the last one was cut shorter.
the first im not sure about but i would say dubbed then ribbed..2 and 3 have the butts covered..Joe if yoy make a loop with the cut ends close and the tips out and wrap over the ends you'll get this result...

sandfly wrote:
the last 3 are definitly fur of some sorts..I would have to say in a loop...the last one was cut shorter.
the first im not sure about but i would say dubbed then ribbed..2 and 3 have the butts covered..Joe if yoy make a loop with the cut ends close and the tips out and wrap over the ends you'll get this result...

That would require hair cut from the hide and layed into the loop right? Not preblended?

I guess so but it sounds like a pain in the @$$ and I don't think the fish would notice the difference....

correct joe,

Back