Nail Knot Tool

T

tctrout

Hi, all! I just posted a video on a nail knot tool and some reasons why I prefer it over other connections (though the super glue one is a lot of fun!). I'd be interested in hearing about other connections that all of you are using and thoughts on them.

Thanks,

TC

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqIetFI6Utk&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

I have a nail knot tool like the one pictures and I have no complaints. Mainly use it when connecting my leader to my euro nymph line. Sometimes is use uv knot sense on it. The line I use is from rio and is a thinner diameter line.

I can't imagine paying $100.00 for a fly line, cutting off a perfectly good welded loop and tying a nail knot. Snipping off even a little bit of that $100.00 line every Time? I've used every method covered and for my money the welded loop on my Rio line is the culmination of trial and error and testing. Nail knot for the backing is fine. Nail knot? I don't drive to the creek in a horse and buggy either.

IMO, the best nail knot tool is still a heavy carpet needle. These tools are another example of a solution to a problem that doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned.

I went to loop to loop connections years ago. Easy strong, Never looked back.

Snipping off even a little bit of that $100.00 line every Time?
Since I make my own leaders, I just leave the 1st (17lb test) segment on and replace the other 3 when needed. Only need to replace the 1st segment and retie the line- leader connection maybe every 3rd or 4th time.

I'm always happy for everybody who finds just the right tool or method for whatever it is they are doing in this sport.

For me though, the best tool for tying nail knots at either end of the fly line is no tool at all. For a long, long, long, long (each "long" being roughly worth about a decade or so..), I've used the speed or "nail-less" nail knot which is basically a Uni-Knot gradually tightened and squinched into position. It takes a few tries to become comfortable with and yes, there is often a little fadiddling around to get the turns of your knot to come into perfect (or at least satisfactory) alignment. But it works and I've never had one fail and I avoid carrying yet another gizmo in my vest.

But like I say, I'm happy for anybody who finds something they like for whatever FF related task. Unless its a half hitch tool. Then I have to wonder if there is something wrong with them...:)

I may have to try that UV light thing though. That looks pretty slick. But I'll need to reconcile myself to shelling out for that light first.

I wonder if I could do the same thing with Alene's Fabric Fusion..:)?

Getting the welded loop through the tip when netting with a long leader is the only advantage I see to a well done nail knot. Having a 17 lb segment stay in place still leaves a loop to contend with. Some may recall when the braided loops came on the scene there was a concern that the loop acted like a hinge interrupting the forward momentum transmitted from the flyline to the leader. Seemed a little brain surgical to me. That does look like the tool for the job though and I love new gear.

I don't care if the fly line costs $1,000,000. I'm cutting the loop off every time and putting on a nail knot. I hate loop to loop connections from fly line to leader. They don't cast through the guides well at all and eventually break. Tctrouts method flies through guides and doesn't break. I've used it for a long time but I'm partial to aquaseal.

Having a 17 lb segment stay in place still leaves a loop to contend with.
??? No sir, there are no loops in my leaders !

I actually use, a nail!!!!

a cheap pen is the way to go.

Take a Qtip,cut the cotton ends off and use that tube to tie a nail knot. GG

My finger works just as well.

Gary Borger's nailess nail knot is the way to go

Back