Nags Head / OBX North Carolina

Trout_Man_Dan

Trout_Man_Dan

PAFlyFish Crew,

I'm headed down to OBX soon and while I have an 10ft 8 weight rod and a sinking line I have had trouble catching anything soundside or in the surf the past two years. I've got about a dozen or so flies. Mostly shrimp or baitfish imitations. I've done just fine around home here in PA with trout, panfish, and smallmouth. Obviously, the saltwater game is different and while I've searched and watched some videos on "The YouTube" I figured I would see if anyone on here would have any sage advice.

We will be staying in Nags Head across from the pier. Air temperatures appear to be relatively cool with highs in the mid 80s and 70s. Ocean water temperatures seem to be hovering around 75. Nags Head Pier stated that species that are biting at this time of year include puppy drum, spanish mackerel, bluefish, sea trout, bottomfish, kingfish, and cobia.

In the past, I've used a spin rod for the ocean and a top / bottom rig to catch bottom fish like kingfish with relative ease. If anyone has any suggestions on locations down there, tactics, times to fish, or flies best used please feel free to fill me in as I need all the help I can get. In my two years of "fly fishing the Outer Banks" the only thing I have to show for it is the attached image of the huge shrimp on the Dirty Harry fly.

Thanks again for any assistance.
Dano

Attachments

• 20210619_063928.jpg
    20210619_063928.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 35
Book a trip through OBX on the Fly and request Harry (originator of the Dirty Harry fly). You won't regret your time on the water with this VERY fishy, knowledgeable and all around great guy!

I agree with finding a local guide, that will shorten the learning curve immensely. But don't hire them to steal spots, learn the why of the where.

If you're dead set on diy. Out front check out the bottom structure on extreme low tides. Take a mental image of that and fish that structure on high and falling tides.
Out back I'd look for inlets, creeks and flats. Fish the tides in the inlets and creeks.

I'd fish clousers as a searching pattern out front. I'd fish shrimpy flies if I'm sight casting to redfish. I'd fish intermediate sink out front on a short fluoro leader and floating line with a 12' fluoro leader out back if sight fishing reds. I'd probably look for kayak/canoe rentals for out back to make exploring easier.

Olive over orange clousers are my go to. Local guide is a sure thing. I usually just spin fish from the beach and pull out the fly rod for a day or two cuz its my thing. Sometimes i'll drag my yak with me. What do you want to spend? What is the fishing priority on your trip? Those are the factors. Some days it's just croakers. Some days you get few flounder. Some days its Jack blues. On a really good day you get some specks. At least hit a shop like T.W.'s and find out what's biting. Enjoy!

Go to Oregon Inlet Fishing center. Wade out by the propellor at the end of the parking lot. Throw some pink/ white clousers. There are usually some trout that hangout around there.

check out OBX on the Fly (as previously suggested) - it's a fairly new fly shop in Manteo, which is only a couple of miles from where you will be staying...they can help steer you in the right direction. Harry Merkalis (also mentioned previously) guides out of the shop. They also now rent (or do guide trips) with battery motor kayaks in the sound - great way to get on fish. Or DIY as Tiogadog has suggested and wade the propellor slough at OI Fishing Center.... here's the website for OBX on the fly: https://obxonthefly.com/

I find saltwater fishing in general boom or bust, you could fish for 12 hours in the daytime and put a lot of effort in and not catch a thing and then as soon as the tide moves at 7 PM it’s gangbusters.

I like choke points, like around islands, shoals, bridges - add to that a moving tide and some structure and you’ll have ambush spots and or places for baitfish. Add to this a light in the dark and that for me has been a good recipe for success.

I’ve fished for a whole days with sunny conditions and very little tide and caught next to nothing. Timing is paramount to get conditions more favorable or for me it’s been hours of “just enjoying being out”.

Baitfish, crab imitation or similar so should work fine as saltwater fish are not that picky.

Good luck.

There are some flats south of the Oregon Inlet bridge where I've seen MASSIVE schools of drum. Just be careful down there. There's a spot where you go from a foot or two of water to 30' in one step. People have died...

Back