My trusty crayfish pattern

• Thread starter JakesLeakyWaders
  • Start date
JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

Hope the pic goes through, back to using my dinosaur of a smartphone.

I tie and lose dozens and dozens of these every year. They are attacked by trout, carp, catties, bass and walleye.

I tried a bunch of different variations based off the clouser and a bugger.

Bead chain eyes, hook up. Great pattern for bouncing off the stream bed and deep holes. Wrapped in lead. Great action.

Attachments

• IMG_20130605_142140.jpg
    IMG_20130605_142140.jpg
    502.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20130605_142038.jpg
    IMG_20130605_142038.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 6
P.S. There will be. Plenty of extra crayfish at Jake's Freedom Jam. Lol.

Very nice crayfish pattern

Here's a bit larger one with the red bead chain eyes.

Attachments

• IMG_20130605_175437.jpg
    IMG_20130605_175437.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 4
That's a great looking pattern. I was wondering how you tie the legs. Is that one of the last steps? Then a wire to lock it down.

The pattern is tied with;

1. 210 denier olive or brown thread.

2. Bead chain tied at bottom of bend on hook. This allows it to sink and remain with the hook facing up.

3. Krystal flash tied from front to back and over eyes extended out from either end of hook( About 6 strands).

4. Lead wrapped about 2/3 the length of the hook.

5. Two small feathers of choice tied in for the claws. Tied carefully so that they stick out to the sides.

6. Dubbed in rabbit dubbing for undersides, usually a creamy, light olive or rusty orange color depends.

7. Body is wrapped with one olive rooster saddle hackle. Back to front. (From the eyes to the hook eye). Just like a bugger just tied in opposite direction.

8. Light olive furry foam for back, remember pattern is tied with hook facing up. The backing also pushes the olive hackle down for the appearance of downward pointing legs.

9. For the tail I usually just use the same color and type feather that was used for the claws. After the tail is tied in I give it the old finishing knot and that's it.

I then take it out of the vice and trim the claws and a few other things.

Thanks man. Makes perfect sense.

Thanks much for the step-by-step.
Good looking pattern!

Really nice pattern, looks like it would catch some fish. I will have to try and tie some.

It works if you work it, lol.

Back