My review of Fly Stone Bases

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

I was tying some size 10 black nose dace buggers last night. Don't mind the mess on the table and the stacked up play dough on the table. LOL.

I bought my son a regal travel vise so he can learn along side me, and so I can sneak in some flies on my lunch break at work. I wanted to test it out and see how it was.

I took this picture to show why I like the fly stones base. I tie way more flies than the average tyer but after the first fly on that traveler, I went back to my vise. I could feel the strain in my neck. My arms were not as free to move while tying as well. Almost felt like I was constructed. My pattern did not look as uniform as The fly was much farther away from my eye.

I just wanted to hit home on the fact that yes these bases are pretty and a conversation piece, but at the same time have so much more to offer than asthetics. I imagine I probably use my vise more than most, but to me it is a world of difference to convential c-clamp and standard pedestal bases. Having that fly right at eye level, being able to sit at a good posture, and not having to slump over and put that strain on your shoulders and neck is huge. I probably tie 2-4 hours a night, so comfort is huge.

Also the travel vise pedestal was no where near as stable. I understand that the travel vise is not meant for consistent tying but man nothing like that fly stone base. It is a lot heavier. I am not knocking the traveler as it is great at what it was designed for and it may not be an apples to apples comparison to be honest.

I had to have the traveler at an increased angle than what is shown in this picture as well to give me enough room to wrap the chenille. This in my opinion is huge. As if you notice on my vice the head is nearly perfectly flat. It is also a lot closer to eye level. This proper hook placement is big on regal vises anyway.

I think I may have bought the first one that was made, and have been tying with it since. I have zero complaints about it. The attachment is solid, I've never had to re tighten the vise holding knob. It is a very beautiful base, and makes for nice back ground pictures. IF you were on the fence about it and needed some good solid feedback here it is.

In closing I would say this Bullet points:
Less Strain on your neck, shoulders, and back
Elevate your flies to eye level
opens your range of motion

I just ordered another one. I am not affiliated with Fly Stones or anything like that, still have to pay what anyone else would, I just like to give people insight on things that work for me.

Attachments

• Fly stones.jpg
    Fly stones.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 13
picking up one of these at the Lancaster show for my Cottarelli vise....

Nice review.

Eunan

Do you have a link to website?

You'll like it. I will note that at first it feels goofy, but now I feel like I am less confined and feel goofy if tying on something else.

I didn't want it to seem like I hate the regal or anything, but just enjoy the benits of using the fly stones.

Mike I agree. I started with the clamp version but when I finally got a dedicated desk, I opted for one.

Base1.jpg

Base2.jpg

TZtrout. The only page I think he offers it on at the moment is he facebook page. Let me check

https://www.facebook.com/FlystonesGranite/about/

Here is the facebook link. I can probably get you the owners contact info if you don't have facebook. I didn't see an email address

Here is where I purchased mine.....

http://www.thegranitefly.com/

Good Luck!

I have a beautiful one that I was going to be putting up for sale soon right here - if anyone is interested, you can p.m. me. And yes - they are absolutely beautiful and very functional it's just too large for the space that I tie in currently.
Mike B
PS: if this is inappropriate mods feel free to delete I will post it in the classifieds soon.

Thank you- web address is on the Facebook page. flystones.net
I'll be checking them out at Lancaster, they make the Regal look like a piece of modern sculpture!

These are nice...pricey...but nice. Must be really heavy too. I found a base at TCO with a Dave Whitlock painting of a smallmouth on it. Would post a picture but it's a pita to do that. I've used it a few times - works well. Only thing I don't like about it is it has two set screws that
secure the vise shaft so I have to carry an allen wrench in my tool kit now. Would have much preferred the thumb screw like these bases come with.

Back