My "new" vise

FrequentTyer

FrequentTyer

I don't actually need another vise, but it never hurts to have backups for your backups. So I added another Thompson to the collection. This one is a Thompson B which, as near as I can tell, was manufactured in the late 40's or early 50's. I know a lot of you have probably seen or used these, but some might be interested in a few pictures.

Here it is as it arrived. I did nothing except make that small wooden disk to replace the missing clamping plate.
Thompson_B_1.JPG

Here it is set up and ready for use. It is a simple drawn collet design. Turning the big red knob draws the collet and tightens the vise on the hook. A beautiful low tech no adjustment required solution to clamping the hook.
Thompson_B_02.JPG

I am really impressed with this and used it to tie about 10 flys today. The only issue is that the collet is a little stiff and does not easily accept larger size hooks, but I think it is loosening up with use. It does amazingly well with the small stuff. Other than getting used to non-rotary again, I found this to be a very pleasant vise to use. Well worth the $5.00 I spent! I think Thompson got a bad name in part because of the cheap A-knockoffs, and that is a shame because I never tried an authentic Thompson that I didn't like. Now I just need to find C-F to complete the set :)

And to prove the point, here is a #20 fluttering caddis tied on the vise.
FlutteringCaddis.JPG

Mike.

That's pretty cool guy. Thanks for sharing. I'd give ya $10 for it. ;-)

FT, that vise was actually my first vise i ever used! i really liked it, but decided to go to something more modern after a year or two. idk when my dad started tying flies, but it belonged to him and was also his first vice as well. i still have it and will never sell it. its too sentimental to me.

I have a thompson that has it jaws a 90 degrees from the post and does not have a tapered end of the collet for holding the fly. It is just a straight end, Not good for small stuff. I think it is a Thompson "A". I would have to dig it out.

Mine is missing the washer on the clamp also. Actually I have it it just came off. Always had trouble with the small throat area of the clamp. Always seemed the table I was trying to clamp to was too thick.

Mike,
Neat! I've seen a couple of those floating around over the years. I know there's at least one in the Catskill FF museum.
It always seemed to me that the circular twist style handle would work well and allow one to get a strong grip on it (like a water hose outlet or pipe valve).

Now we're going old school! I love checking out the earlier tools of the trade. Thanks for sharing, nice fly btw.

I like old stuff and even have an old xuron that I use but since going rotary it's hard to go back, not for the spinning feature, just to see the other side of the fly.

blueheron wrote:
I like old stuff and even have an old xuron that I use but since going rotary it's hard to go back, not for the spinning feature, just to see the other side of the fly.

x2

Thanks for all the comments guys!
delta_dog wrote:
That's pretty cool guy. Thanks for sharing. I'd give ya $10 for it. ;-)
Only $10?? It's a Thompson, not a Regal :lol:

beadhead2 wrote:
Mike
Is that going to be your new traveling vise ?
Nice fly
I'm tempted, but don't think so. I like a pedestal for travel. I'll bring it to the next tying night if you want to try it out.

blueheron wrote:
I've been coveting that Xuron since the tying jam! It is an adjustment getting used to not being able to turn the fly, but I think I found a solution here.

Back