My new nymphing setup

• Thread starter blackandgold4ever05
  • Start date
blackandgold4ever05

blackandgold4ever05

Hi all, I just wanted to update everyone here. I've been playing around with ideas of a new nymphing rod and reel. I thought I was going to get the Cabela's CZN in 11ft-4wt. That idea went out the window when I picked up a Cortland Brook series in 10ft-4wt at my local fly shop. I'd rather support the small local shops and fell in love with the Cortland. I paired the rod with a Cortland Pro Cast Mid-Arbor reel and Cortland Precision WF4F fly line. After a handful of times on the water with it, I still couldn't be happier. That extra foot on the rod really makes a big difference on the bigger streams I fish (Penns, Spring Creek and soon Big Fishing Creek). The rod also allows me to feel the bottom as well as takes so much better than my old setup (St. Croix 9ft-5wt and cheap reel w/ WF5F Airflo Ridgeline. The other day I felt my fly stop for a split second. I lifted rod tip and nothing, but after glancing at my point fly, I saw I had hooked a cased caddis. This almost blew my mind that I had felt that. So, anyway, if anyone nymphs a majority of the time and is looking at the 10-11 ft rods, definitely give the Cortland Brook series a look. Money well spent!!!

putting together a 11' 3wt. now

Is the set up gonna be for sale sandfly? I'm in the market!

I just picked up a 10'6 Echo Shadow 3wt. I am going to pair it with my Galvin Tourque. I can not wait to play with this rod in the coming days.

I bought the Cortland Brook 10' 5 weight. You are right these rods are great for nymphing. I really like mine and fish it often.

Black&Gold, Tiger,
I bought my Cortland Brook 10' 4 Wt at FlyFisher's Paradise two years ago and it is a great rod overall for 200 beans you can't go wrong the cosmetics also are excellent a real pretty rod.The rod case is also top notch,where can you go an get a four piece travel rod with rod/reel case included for 200 bucks?
I am planning on getting the five weight this month when i am up for my monthly visit to my cabins.
Only other rod im considering besides a Bamboo is a Greys streamflex 11' 4wt.
5 weights are usually my main rod except for fishing big water like the Lehigh or Delaware, then it is a Trio of Lamiglas 10' 6 wts all rigged with different lines for different fishing {streamers,dries,or softhackles}or my Trout Spey which has been my main rod on big water for a few years now,wont be long ill be swinging for Shad.
Keep us updated on how you do with your new rods, i'll do the same .
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

I have been bit by this bug aswell for nymphing . i can vouch for the streamflexes. i have a ten foot 4wt and the feeling is great. can't wait to get out and put the rod to use again.

Back