My new "Brooky" dry fly rod

PACOFRANSICO

PACOFRANSICO

I just got this little beauty of the finishing motor. I'ts a 6 ft. 3 weight "Tiger Eye" blank. Its on the fast action side.. Birds eye maple real seat, Burl cork grip, single foot guides (alps stipping guide) and goldenrod and bronze ht met. thread. I wanted somethin far away from a factory "cookie cutter" lookin' rod an it's it.
DSC04946.jpg

DSC04939.jpg

DSC04936.jpg

DSC04947.jpg

The only thing I'm bummed about is my skill with a paint brush on the Initials. And the fact that i gotta wait a week for the finish to cure fully. I'll post some pics of the first fish.

That's some I would love to do..is building difficult?

It's not as hard as some think. My father inlaw told me before I started to build " If you can tye a fly you can wrap a guide." And he's right. He gave me a book called "Fly rod building made easy" By Art Scheck" A great book. I would advise gettin it just to see how rods are made.

I've built close to 8 rods now and I'm still lookin for the rod with the perfect wraps, the perfect finish, and the perfect "feel". Thats what keeps me buildin' more. Well if ya talk to my wife it's my O.C.D.

The staisfaction is that you put the time on the bench, gluin' wrapin finishin. You put a little of yourself in the rod It all comes together the first fish you hook with it. Thats the fish that stick in my mind the "1st".

Sorry for ramblin. But I world advise anyone wantin to try to build one buy all means pursue it. And I'm still lookin for a "BUILT BY PACO" sticker.

Nice job Paco. I too have had trouble getting decent writing on rods. I've used a white pen made for the purpose but it doesn't work well. However, I'm not a stickler for rod building details (your wrappings are far nicer than mine) so haven't sought a better writing tool.

Well you did a nice job on that one! Boondock Saints fan I see...nice!

Paco I'm curious about your avatar is that a club you started ?
Oh yeah nice rod

Im the charter member. It's for guys that arnt affraid to throw the "meat fly's" to the fish. Which is funny most of the rods I have are Brookie only rods, go figure.

I am gettin my hands on a 13ft. 8wt. spey. I'm tired of my shoulder achein for days after a weekend of throwin 7wt. heavy sink tipswaist deep in water in the Sesq. for smallies. That I'll be fun...

PACO

I'm from clearfield, does that make me eligible to join?

You know the history between clearfield -n- C-ville dont ya? Just kiddin', we could get "colors" for our fishin' vest just like a L.M.C. (HA! HA!)

I'm not big on red and black but I would be down with a big Bison patch.

Back