My first Stones

YoughnessMonster

YoughnessMonster

I was inspired by a FishIdiots LBS ties and decided to give it a shot with a little different pattern.
I welcome any suggestions for improvements of the flies. Each has a small difference, whether its black and grizzly hackle, some crystal flash in the wing, or goose biots vs. Black elk hair for tails.
I had to do some treasure hunting since I had to send my travelers jaws back to renzetti. Found a standard cabelas vise that my father used to tie sucker spawn for Erie on (only pattern he ever tied). It got the job done, but I definitely miss being able to turn my fly to inspect all side.

Attachments

• black stone.jpg
    black stone.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 13
  • cabelas vise.jpg
    cabelas vise.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 3
  • jawless renzetti.jpg
    jawless renzetti.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 6
Thats the same pattern I tie, you don't need the tail.

Thanks for the info Maurice. Off with the Tail!! Do you think the proportions look alright? I really tried to make the body as slim as possible

Yeah, ditch the curved hooks too. I like a more gray wing though. Although in the past years I've used the white z-lon. Keep in mind this pattern works best skittered down and across. Better hurry though they will be done soon.

Just use standard dry hooks like TMC 100?

Yes standard dry.

leave the curve hook, tie the hackle at a angle back towards the wing, then add a 4-6" tippet on rear of hook and add a size 18 pupa hook with a small ball of white dubbing. great imitation of an egg laying stone..

leave the curve hook, tie the hackle at a angle back towards the wing, then add a 4-6" tippet on rear of hook and add a size 18 pupa hook with a small ball of white dubbing. great imitation of an egg laying stone..

I don't follow what you mean by tying in the hackle at an angle back towards the wing. Do you perhaps have a picture?

the best way I can describe it is as you wrap keep the top hackle back and the hackle unde a little forward so it lays back at the top slightly towards wing..here is what I tie with the egg.

Attachments

• 4-3-12 078.jpg
    4-3-12 078.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 6
  • 4-3-12 081.jpg
    4-3-12 081.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 3
Not to "H J" but cool idea with the egg trailer, and I like the slightly curved hook myself.

Yeah thats definately worth a shot. But as someone else mentioned my time for stones is running out.

Back