My first rod build, 12' 6wt spey

D

DJBerg

Great looking rod there, It all comes together when ya hook and land a fish on a stick you built. Its fishing with stuff that has a little bit of "soul" built in it....

nice pole.

I've been waiting for that gfen, as I was starting this, I started my count down.

N paco, I was hoping to feel that yesterday, but no luck...

fwiw, it looks great.

Thanks man, im stoked on it, it shoots line like nothing I've ever single hand cast before!

DJ
If I'm free this week, I'll shoot you a pm.
I may have a line you could try.
Do you have a rez license?
Or Kinzua could be a possibility.

thanks dano, just keep me posted, i was i erie today, but luck was not on my side... went to fish usa and learned that all thier rio versi tip stuff is all drop shipped... i wanted to cry. and of course ultimate angler was closed at noon, and gander mountain had nothing. damn it!

but we'll see how the week goes either i am going to take a drive up to the oak orchard fly shop, he seems to have a real good spey selection, or im just gonna order a bob mieser skandit kit...

Well again, in trying to figure out what line to run on this, a guy gave me a line builders number, gave him a ring, and we decided I shouod be running a 450 grain head. So I jumped in the truck, made the drive to buffalo and picked up an airflo rage head, an airflo running line, and wrapped it around a new echo lon reel. Sweet set up other than im not keen on the colors of the head, but if thats the only issue I have I cwn dewl with celest green...

So today on my lunch break, im gonna throw on the waders and make my first spey cast attempts. Here's to boping all goes well.

And as ussual thank you to everyone for the pointers, cant wait to make that line tight!

DJ

Oh and by the way, if you're ever in buffalo the oak orchard fly shop is awesome! Not a slew of rods, but a huge fly tying selection! Had to add this, last night was ananIce drive to one heck of a destination!

Great shop with awesome service!

nothing like diving in to your first build with a monster rod! Looks great!

Thanks, I love it! I've fished it spinning drift and it worked great, run single hand line on it and it was awesome! Seriously 100' drifts with it, and now learning how to spey cast it, though thats pretty hard trying to get my nirmal casting hand not to move much, while learning to use my left hand to cast it underhand style.

Feather inlays on your first build?
That's quite impressive. I'd be embarassed to post pics of my first build!

http://www.rodbuildingtutorials.com/

the inlays were way easier than writing on the blank lol!

was really quite easy, though i read somewhere of using mod podge for color preserver, and i will never do that again. it's pretty clear, but i can still see where it ends and starts.

I like it, nice job. Enjoy.

Back