My first articulate fly

littlelehigh

littlelehigh

First off thanks to Jay and Paco for the motivation to even try one and to Mo for the personalized idiots guide to uploading photos (I have computer dislexia).

Here it is not much but sure was fun. Critiques welcome but I'll save everyone time on the obvious: Needs dumbbell stick on eyes, tail is way to long for second hook. Anything else would be appreciated. I was so excited to try one I really just lashed materials on the hooks.

Attachments

• sculpin.jpg
    sculpin.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 7
Nice tie LL. I think you're being a bit too hard on yourself. Does it really need eyes? I never bother with 'em with wide head clipped hair or spun wool streamers. I also don't think the tail is too long although the hook is hard to see. It might miss some trout hits but this would be a devastating fly for bass. Bass tend to "head hunt" and strike the front of the fly whereas trout tend to slash at the back. If you intend to fish these flies predominately for trout, my recommendation would be that the back end of the tail not extend more than an inch beyond the hook. With articulated streamers, it's most important that the "joint" is structurally sound so the fly doesn't break when fighting a hooked fish or trying to pull off of a snag.
Again, nice job.

Good lookin bug. FIsh it with confidence.

Good tie!!! That will catch a variety of fish!!!

Very nice LL!!! You can add the eyes later. Bring it to our next tying session.

Thanks all I'm gonna try this again with a little more planning.

FI
The tail is 2 inches past the back hook I'll shorten that up next time. What about the flash to much not enough. I'm gonna put a wide feather on top of the front hook next time.

as far as the flash is that pearl? i might have used a darker color since sculpins are darkeri tend to try to match flash color to the natural when i attempt to tie sculpins i like to use root beer colored flash or even copper although i must say looks better than what i tie lol it has a nice wide profile

Looks good!

I have seen better ;-)

looks like kelly gallops articulated zoo cougar

This is what my Articulated "Zoo Cougar" looks like. A little big for trout standards at 6 1/2 inches but i dont see a pike or bass refusing it.

DSC00018-1.jpg

You also might wanna look up Galloups "Articu-craw" pattern.
DSC00019-1.jpg

Big streamers are a lot of fun to tie. But you could fish them for a long time for a bite, chase or boil from a hog of a trout. Big trout are hunters and arn't the timid juvinile trout that most are fishing for.

Paco - how many Chickens died in the production of that Zoo Cougar? That is a lifetime of feathers for me! LOL

I tied up some big and uglies, will post some photos when I have a chance. Nice ties guys.

Those things are looking great LL and Paco. Soon as I get caught up on some things around here, I'm gonna be following your instructions on tying them.

I've caught trout on 6 1/2" articulated flies. In fact, I love huckin me some meat.

Here's one of my recent articulated meat ties.

Back