Mute’s questions of more general appeal

M

Mike

For some reason replies and pm’s are suddenly not working for me, so I will respond here.

First, heretofore repeat wild trout stream surveys in general have usually not been on a particular schedule except for a small minority of streams. Some exceptions, for example, have usually been involved in specific studies, been candidates or recipient alternative management techniques, have been recipients of water quality or habitat improvements, or have been the subject of considerable angler interest.

Second, regarding Hosensack Ck, Montgomery/Lehigh Co, the wild trout population improves in an upstream direction as the habitat improves. Stormwater runoff is a substantial habitat problem the farther downstream one looks. Nevertheless, conditions for the wild BT population in the lower end appeared to be improving during the most recent survey, which was about 5 yrs ago. Rock bass had disappeared, suggesting cooler summer water temps than in the past. Trout abundance was limited by habitat though. Long, shallow pools would become a little deeper in their upper thirds, so fishing the stream would be best accomplished by by-passing the shallow portions and moving right along. Once in the Class A section BT numbers greatly improve. In the early 1980’s, however, when I first surveyed the stream, wild BT were sparse throughout, so the improvement has been quite impressive (despite cooperative nursery stockings throughout that period).

Thanks for the detailed reply Mike. Your knowledge and experience on this stuff is indispensable and totally appreciated. Im guessing PMs are working correctly in general. Makes sense why in the last week Ive sent 4 or so different PMs to people and they haven't replied. Or maybe im just an outcast :D.

I finally found a lovely Natural Repro in the area that from my single experience thus far provides an incredible fishery. I must of had 20 or so hook ups with fish that were at-least 4-5" long. And this was only fishing probably 20% of the stream.

DSC06325-Large-1024x683.jpg

DSC06337-Large-1024x683.jpg

DSC06258-Large-1024x683.jpg

DSC06290-Large-1024x683.jpg

DSC06216-Large.jpg

DSC06217-Large.jpg

DSC06263-Large.jpg

DSC06276-Large.jpg

DSC06284-Large.jpg

DSC06319-Large.jpg

DSC06320-Large.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br_-C3ALKlE

The stream that you fished is not Class A and I have only electrofished it going back to the 1980’s. It might be Class B, but it could even be a high Class C. It is infertile and despite being subject to the negative effects of acid precipitation, its water quality is exceptionally good based on the quality if not the quantity of Macroinvertebrates found there. It is a beautiful stream to hike along and to observe trout behavior. I do so every few years. In fact, it is one of my favorites. You will mostly find ST, but there are also BT, particularly the farther downstream you fish. I am glad that you discovered this gem as it is a stream worthy of appreciation.

Back