Musky / Pike Flies

PACOFRANSICO

PACOFRANSICO

I've bin kicking around the idea of doing some toothy critter fishing this year. I seen the Zero to Hero tailor on youtube and seen there square foam topwater fly. Here what I 've come up with. Anyone with some musky or pike experience with a fly plz chime in.
DSC05442.jpg

It's about 6 inches long

This 1 is about 8 to 9 inches long.
DSC05444.jpg

I'd fish either one...nice job.

Can't tell for sure, but if those are hooks designed for poppers, they are usually a lighter wire and might bend out on musky. With that foam material, you can get away with using a heavier stainless hook without fear of it sinking.

The only other thing I might suggest is a little less feathers. One of the keys, for me, in tying good BIG flies is having a big outline without a ton of material. Too many feathers will make long casts difficult. Like the hook, it's a little difficult for me to tell from the pics, but they look like they might hold some water.

Getting a big fish to take on the surface is heart-stopping! Good luck!

The hook for the top fly is a 4/0 heavy worm hook. And the red and white fly on the bottom is a 2 hook(Dia Riki 1/0 bass) segmented body and a waddington shank for the head so three segments. These are all proto types. The next are gonna be tyed on heavy hooks. Just wanna get shape of foam and action down. I'm thinking of using super hair and just flasabou for the bodys I'd dont know.

they will catch fish
since you were looking for feedback...

the squarehead (sponge bob squarehead) fly was an experiment with some thick solid foam... not layers glued... they are probably 2inx2in cubes

the topwater flies you saw in the trailer are all fished with int lines
the foam rides so high, a float line would only skip the popper across the water
the idea is a large head to displace water, cause fishing to sense the vibrations... since the is upper wisco water has such a stain, the fish are picking up vibrations on their lateral line rather than by sight

you flies (as designed now) lack a cause
the front lip doesn't have the surface area to displace water or the angle to have a dive and take air down with it
i'd say that the length of the foam is twice as long as it should be... it is not adding anything, just making it hard to cast

skip the marabou tail... look at schlappen or saddle hackle

My newist pike fly's. They are gonna get a work out sat hopefully.

DSC05453.jpg

DSC05450.jpg

DSC05449.jpg

DSC05451.jpg

Back