Musky Hunting in Chester County

fitzgeraldb17

fitzgeraldb17

So lately I have been doing some research on where to catch my first musky and the usual place I keep seeing is Marsh creek lake. But does anyone know any places to go around Kennet Sqaure other than Marsh Creek. Also would an 8wt work to catch one.

An 8WT is fine.
Hard core muskies guys usually use a bigger rod, in part because they're throwing enormous flies. However, for smaller muskie flies, ie. under about 8 inches, you can get by with an 8WT.

Musky anglers are tight lipped about their spots and aren't likely to divulge them other than in the most general terms. In SEPA, in addition to Marsh Creek Lake, you have some muskies in some sections of the Delaware River, Schuylkill River, Lehigh River, Nockamixon, and a couple other spots. Go to the PFBC website and look up warm water stockings (historical by county) and you can find the lakes and river systems with muskies. They're all listed there.

If your ready to make the commitment to catch 1 get a ten. In order
To cast a 8 inch fly on a 8wt proficiently you have to damn good caster. Bad form you will just end up tearing up gear and yourself. Trust me. Big flys heavy lines and lots of casting takes a toll especially when you set down and figure amount of casting days it takes to hook a fish.

I think I may try the spill way this weekend because I've heard there are some there. Also, if I have no luck I might go down stream to where they stocked the trout and see if any congregated around there too.

What Paco said. you can get by with an 8wt but it's not very enjoyable. 10wt and heavy sink line is preferable. Even with a 10wt, I still feel undergunned when trying to throw really large flies.

It boils down to efficiency the longer your flys swimming on every cast combined with less time in the air gives you the best shot at giving a musky a look. Why try to drive a railroad spike with a 10oz hammer. When you can use a 20 pound sledge. I'm not saying it can't be done with a lighter rod. My first musky was a 40s tiger caught on a 8wt. I seen the light right there.

But muskys are a big critter the longer you fight em the more lactic acid builds up in the system. Some fish don't recover from being over played on light gear.

Believe it or not, they are also pretty darn sensitive to stress. When their fins turn red while being handled or caught it is not because they are happy campers.

Back