Muskie tactics - the lowhead dam

wgmiller

wgmiller

I was able to access the lower end of a low-head dam yesterday due to low water conditions. This is *known* muskie water and I feel confident that I can find one. That being said, from a tactics standpoint, I'm curious to hear a little feedback on how you would fish this area if YOU were on the "esox hunt". I fished it hard yesterday for a few hours with no luck, but that doesn't mean I won't be back!

PFBC regs state that you can't be within 100' downstream of a lowhead and 200' upstream of a lowhead. However, if you're good at bombing line, you can certainly cast into the plunge water. A bit of a challenge tossing muskie flies, I know. Also, to the left of the picture is a fish ladder that you're not allowed to fish within 100' of. Fishing upstream of the lowhead would be from the banks only. Heavy brush is present, so getting any kind of distance cast is a challenge. It's a nice, slow pool however.

LWW2_zpsd18338d7.jpg

Here's the area downstream. There's a nice little run through the center of the picture that flows into a big, slow pool. This pool is too deep to wade, but can be cast into from the rocks. There is some aquatic vegetation off to the right that makes it ideal for the topwater bite.

LWW1_zps66d20626.jpg

In closing, if you had this area to fish and were given the scenario above, what would your actions be?

Hhhmmm.... interesting.

When wade fishing for muskies, the hardest nut to crack (in my opinion) is getting far enough out from under overhanging trees and from bankside vegetation that you don't get your backcast snagged. That shallow, rocky point appears to provide this option.

If it were me, and foot access is available from the stone arch bridge downstream, I'd get out on that bridge on a sunny day when the sun is high and the water clear, and I'd study the pool - might even see a muskie. The deep, slow pool in the in front of the stone arch bridge looks like a good spot for a muskie or three to hang out. Once familiar with the pool, I'd wait till a rain stains the creek and brings the level up a little bit and I'd place myself right on that rocky point and bomb that pool from left to right with a big streamer. Under these conditions, I'd expect to move an aggressive fish out from the centre channel on the left. If the water is somewhat lower and clearer or sunny, post frontal conditions, I'd expect the fish to be in the weeds in the slack water on the right. As always, however, the key is to just cover as much water as possible. Muskies could be anywhere in those photos, including right in the plunge water below the dam.

This is a great question, and I hesitated fishing this area because of some of the pit falls or limitations of it. It is great to read your suggestions about how to approach it. I wondered if there was any up stream open spots but your description gives me that answer.

Oh, and I fished this before, I had waders on and walked through the weeds cause I didn't know there was a way to get down to the rocks. Really pissed some bait caster off when I walked out there. I was there first but when I went to leave returned the same way I came in. Climbing a concrete wall with waders wasn't what I wanted to do.

Man did I get an ear full! haha oh well. No catfish for him that day.

DJ - I really studied how to get down to those rocks because I knew that's where the best spot to fish it from was. I hugged the wall from just downstream (and waded through some nasty smelling silt) to work my way to the point. At 127 CFS (which was yesterday's flow in Lancaster), it was an easy wade. The water really is too low right now for the "wall fishers" to fish effectively. The only way to fish it now is to get out in the river.

As far as scouting from the stone bridge goes, it's an Amtrak line, so aerial recon is off-limits. A person or ten have jumped from that bridge to their intentional death, so perching oneself up there really is frowned upon. The other side of the river is a waste water treatment plant, so that bank is off-limits as well.

Thanks for the feedback!

standing on those rocks at the tip, I would use a 10 wt. shooting head setup with a 6" fly to be able to cast towards the bridge. maybe even a 2 handed rod to get more distance.

pm sent

sandfly wrote:
standing on those rocks at the tip, I would use a 10 wt. shooting head setup with a 6" fly to be able to cast towards the bridge. maybe even a 2 handed rod to get more distance.

Let me tell ya... After a couple hours double-hauling and shooting line with my 8wt, I was whooped! I needed the PA Expert fly casting champion with me to improve my efficiency!

Thanks for the pm FT.

Here is what would do down sz your fly to a single 6 inches long. Get as close as your can and cover the water. From different angles and fish the whole water. Jut not the pool these fish go were they want. Just because there's a deep pool doesn't meen there a musky in it. And most likely If there is one it's a dormant fish that's digesting. More in likely if you run acrossed 1 they will show there selves if they have seen too many flys. Just outta curiosity. A follows a win because that musky will stay put there til caught or the food runs out.

In high water look for back eddys outta the current. Muskies are lazy and don't like fighting current so they move to the margins with the forage fish. Stack te odds in your favor and don't be affaid to night fish that area. Musky out the guard down at the finges of the day.

Back