Muskie spots

F

fillman72jp

Anyone know of any good spots for muskie fishing in berks/montgomery county areas? Preferably somewhere that is wadable. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I have had success in some local waters but am really interested in fishing different spots.

East side of the state isn't as good as the west side for toothies but there are a decent number of areas, mostly stocked with tigers. Might try exploring Nockamixon Lake, Marsh Creek Lake, Blue Marsh Lake, Delaware River, Lehigh River, and some sections of the Perkioman Creek or maybe the Skuke (check the PFBC site on Warm Water Stocking for which river sections are stocked). Wade fishing for summer muskies on lakes is tough as fish tend to be deeper. Springtime is better for the wading angler.
Rivers can be wade fished pretty good this time of year if you can get out in the middle or find a section without tree cover to snag your back cast. Muskie fishing is about persistence and covering as much water as possible. Pick a day, start early, and hit a couple different areas and drive from one to the next until you find a section of stream or lake that looks good and then fish that section thoroughly next time. River muskies in summer tend to bite best on days when the water has some stain to it and is rising. Blue bird days when the river is low and clear are tough (although good days to familiarize yourself with a river's structure).

FI's got it pretty much covered. Like he said, lake fishing from shore is tough in the summertime...but as of last week, I spotted a musky pretty shallow still. Give it a shot.

I'll also add kaercher creek lake and ontelaunee lake to the list.

Speaking of berks co, I may be up that way to fish early tomorrow morning...shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Thanks guys, I heard that muskie like to hang out at the mouths and confluences of bodies of water, is this true and if so would fishing the mouths of some of these creeks that dump into some of these lakes that are stocked with muskie be a possible spot to try my luck?

fillman72jp wrote:
Thanks guys, I heard that muskie like to hang out at the mouths and confluences of bodies of water, is this true and if so would fishing the mouths of some of these creeks that dump into some of these lakes that are stocked with muskie be a possible spot to try my luck?

Yes.

I recently fished Lake Ontelaunee with my dad, and he was telling me about how when he was younger he and a friend of his used to catch muskie at a spot they know on the lake. He didn't take me there, because we weren't equipped for muskie, so I couldn't even tell you what part of the lake it was. He did say that it wasn't under the smaller bridge that crosses over the lake... and it's not the one popular area that's covered with lily pads. He said he had to walk in a little way from the road to get to the spot.

We actually didn't do so well that day... we did start at like 10 am and leave around 2 though (schedule problems). I'm told there are bass in there, and apparently an overabundance of white perch, but we saw nothing but sunnies.

Try the Schuylkill in the vicinities of creek mouths in Berks Co.........Angelica Ck, Maiden Ck, Tulpehocken Ck. Also try the Blue Marsh Lake discharge/stilling basin. The lake itself is also good. Do not try Lake Ontelaunee; it has not been stocked for years. Another location on the Schuylkill is the 3/4 mi stretch below Black Rock Dam, which sits near Phoenixville and Montclare. Blue Marsh, Nockamixon, and Marsh Creek Lake are good, with Marsh Creek Lake probably being the best of the three, although Nockamixon is coming on strong.

Id be down to go out for muskies in Berks/Montgomery if anyone else wanted too

Back