Muskie Flies

F

Fishidiot

Any folks working up some big toothy stuff this winter? Let's see whatcha got!

Incidentally, there's a good article about muskie flies in this month's (Jan-Feb 16) issue of Eastern Fly Fishing.

I'm hoping to try out some new styles for the big streamers during this winter's tying season.

Fishidiot wrote:
Any folks working up some big toothy stuff this winter? Let's see whatcha got!

Incidentally, there's a good article about muskie flies in this month's (Jan-Feb 16) issue of Eastern Fly Fishing.

I'm hoping to try out some new styles for the big streamers during this winter's tying season.

I fish a lake for muskies and have a wide profile fly to imitate panfish in mind to tie this winter. It's called a Slippery Pete.

To go with that fly, under the tree right now is an 11wt rod with dual grips to figure 8 and two-hand with.....yah---hoo!!

Save some of those musky for me Tom!

I worked up this up a few weeks ago, but other than a quick test, haven't fished it much. It moves a LOT of water, as it should! 6/0 with two articulations.

IMG_20150920_190344153_HDR_zps775ky6mm.jpg

Some new stuff. . .

Attachments

• MS17.jpg
    MS17.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 6
It's cool to see everyone's take on musky flies. That's the best part there's a open range of ideas and options , no wrong way to do it.

I'm full into the bucktail game changer style Fly's. I've caught 7 toothies (pike & Muskies) this year on them.

22C8ABE0-F4D5-4F13-A386-BBBA54DE6F9B_zps5sdztwfo.jpg

This fly I caught my personal best and my first two musky day on.
7E7B2983-DDBB-4D84-BCA5-96E173E2E145_zps3fw7oijh.jpg

PACOFRANSICO wrote:
It's cool to see everyone's take on musky flies. That's the best part there's a open range of ideas and options , no wrong way to do it.

I'm full into the bucktail game changer style Fly's. I've caught 7 toothies (pike & Muskies) this year on them.

22C8ABE0-F4D5-4F13-A386-BBBA54DE6F9B_zps5sdztwfo.jpg

This fly I caught my personal best and my first two musky day on.
7E7B2983-DDBB-4D84-BCA5-96E173E2E145_zps3fw7oijh.jpg

Paco do you tie any T-bone flies

Yep I've tyed up a couple.
5E01E176-285C-4C00-BABD-302DA024931E_zps4g39ummq.jpg

Is that the standard base on your Peak? it looks really big.

It's the peak Jurassic base I dropped my vise off the roof of my
Truck long story it was pretty wonky. So I bought the Jurassic so. Can mount another vise on same base.

Some awesome and motivating stuff.

Ice out is just around the corner and it will be time to hunt some pike or muskies.

Here's a couple new ones I worked up this week. They have a big face made of clipped deer hair fronted by clipped egg fly foam. Will hopefully push some water and get a nice side glide when stripped hard.

Attachments

• IMG_4010.JPG
    IMG_4010.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 4
I haven’t spent much time targeting musky (hope to change that this season) but I tie a lot of articulated streamers for big trout and smallmouth. Most of the flies I use for trout and bass are 3-5”. Just starting to experiment with the gamechanger style and hope to use it to tie some bigger patterns for the toothies.

DSC_1709_zps4y9vvakf.jpg

DSC_1716_zpsna8vmyv7.jpg

DSC_1732_zpsdo5rqcw7.jpg

DSC_1741_zps07ipnls5.jpg

^^^ those look goooooood. liking the middle guys.

Thanks jay, those yellow versions were my best big brown trout fly this fall. The flies in pics are all 3-6". Just getting into the really big stuff but it seems like it's easiest to tie unweighted fly and use a sinking line with any flies >6"

TroutTracker wrote:
Just getting into the really big stuff but it seems like it's easiest to tie unweighted fly and use a sinking line with any flies >6"

Yup. Even the materials you choose for the bigger flies make a difference as you don't want materials that hold too much water. If casting a wet sock comes to mind, then you'll know what I mean! :-D

My boy and I sat down last night and bent up some musky worthy fish spines.
5AECA36C-F9CB-40E6-A76D-9532A6C79D97_zps2cu7q5jt.jpg

Here's what the end product looks like.
32270CAD-11F9-42B8-94B5-385142A65CE0_zpsjcasl5ww.jpg

Thanks so much for bumping this. I have tied two of these so far and I am just addicted!

WIll have better materials here soon as well.

The orange is the first one I did and the red is the second. I will be messing with these for a while.

Attachments

• musky4.jpg
    musky4.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 4
  • musky5.jpg
    musky5.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 4
  • musky8.jpg
    musky8.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 3
  • musky9.jpg
    musky9.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 3
  • musk 2nda.jpg
    musk 2nda.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 5
  • musky 2nd.jpg
    musky 2nd.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 2nd muskyb.jpg
    2nd muskyb.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 5
  • musky flies.jpg
    musky flies.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 4
Bump

Here you go Fred. A couple Game Changers I tied last week.

Attachments

• Little Perch.jpg
    Little Perch.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Sicker.jpg
    Sicker.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Big Perch.jpg
    Big Perch.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 3
  • fraggle.jpg
    fraggle.jpg