Multi-purpose 8 WT rod: suggestions

Fly-Swatter

Fly-Swatter

I have a 25 year old St. Croix Legend Ultra that I'm looking to upgrade. I've used it for bass and stripers in freshwater and reds, snook and Jacks in salt. It's pretty heavy by current standards and the modern graphite and resins are a big step up. So, I'm looking for a better (lighter, more responsive) rod to replace it.

I have a new 6WT I like for trout and smallmouth. It casts easily up to 60+ feet.

My buddy has a Loomis NRX 8 WT. It's an fantastic rod ((VERY light and loads well at all distances), but very pricy! I'd really like to keep the price under $500 (still a lot of $).

I'm not an expert caster, but I am advanced so an entry level rod will be limiting.

I plan to use my new 8 WT for rivers (bass, light musky) and light salt (inland/back waters). I'm thinking fast action with the option to overline (ie, 8.5-9 wt).

Please share any experiences and advice on the kind of rod I'm looking at.

Got a 4 piece 8wt 9 ft , Orvis TLS w fighting butt.

I use with Orvis large arbor reel. It’s probably 15 years old.

It’s not as nice to cast as my other rods but it is heavier and beefier. Good for light saltwater, steelhead , salmon, big bass.

It’s been fine, never broke. Think It was like $300 ish when I got it and came w warranty.

I’m sure there are newer better casting rods but haven’t had the need to look at any new gear for years. (Although I have been thinking of a Orvis Superfine 4wt w a Battenkill reel)

I'm considering the Recon II. I think it's at a similar level to the TLS (mid-range) but $200 more (inflation?).

I have a TLS 5 wt that I use for light bass and as a trout backup. I like it.

keep the st. croix

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2020-8-weight-challenge/

Fly Swatter, You may find the above link helpful in your search. I have the Fenwick Aetos and use it on the Susquehanna most of the times if I am going to use a fly rod. It works very well for my needs and is a pleasure to fish with. Plus the price is hard to beat.

I recently bought an Orvis Recon II in an 8wt. I similarly wanted a general purpose 8wt that I could use for freshwater fishing and occasional saltwater flats fishing. It's first use was for bonefish in the Bahamas, and I have no complaints about it's performance.

The only way to find a rod that fits your casting and fishing best is to go out and cast as many rods as possible.

Just about every FFer is unique as to their wants, needs and expectations of how a fly rod should feel and perform for them.

Unfortunately this year and last, the FFing shows were/are cancelled and the opportunity to cast many different rods in one place is not possible.

From reading your OP, you keep your rods a long time and don't have cash to waste.

Therefore, I suggest you visit a few fly shops that carry different lines of rods to give them a try before making your choice.

There are plenty of excellent mid-priced rods out there and I'm sure you can find a one that works great for you. (I never thought I would call a $500 rod mid-priced :oops:)

Think of your search as a good way to stay involved in FFing through the tough weather of winter.

Good luck.

Back