Muddling about muddlers

barrybarry

barrybarry

Spent a couple afternoons trying to tie small muddler minnows. I get the tail/wings perfect and screw up the deer hair head. Nasty tail and strange looking wing and a somewhat decent packed deer hair head. Thought I'd post a picture but I already know what's wrong. I suck.

I find it very difficult to stack and trim deer hair on a smaller hook. I'm currently using fine deer body hair so the materials are correct.

Any thoughts on tying traditional muddlers in general.

why not tie the muddler minnow like don gapen did way back when

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/don-gapens-muddler-minnow/

I also just had my first attempt at spinning dear hair on a size 10 hook but I was very happy with the results. I used course deer hair since everything I read said stay away from the fine for spinning. I don't know enough to know if that is the problem but I can tell you the course worked for me.

I find getting the tail and wings set properly to be harder that the deer hair head.

First and foremost, make sure you are spinning the hair on the bare hook shank. You only need to stack the first batch of hair that you're going to use for the collar. After that, clean the hair and trim off the tips before you spin it on the hook. I tri to work with a length that won't require a lot of final trimming to get it down to the desired size.

Without photos it's hard to determine what you might be having difficulty with but one thing I would be careful of is not trying to tie too much hair in at once. Go with small amounts. Spin a batch on, pack it and then add more until you're close enough to the hook eye. Remember too that a muddler really isn't supposed to have a tightly packed head as that inhibits sinking.

Thanks for all the help.

After looking at the original, I'm beginning to feel better about the ones I tied. Also the link is a great resource as well.

I think McSneeks idea "I would be careful of is not trying to tie too much hair in at once" is a good suggestion. That will help a lot.

Clip the but ends flush to the length you need for both the wing and the head...basically a no trim fly once its spun. I do spin on a thread base ala Chris Helm's video, its how I learned how to spin.

I prefer a cone headed zuddler over a traditional muddler. Sinks nice and slow, much slower than you'd expect with a pile of movement.

Back