Mrs Simpson

flyfishingNZ

flyfishingNZ

I was in Micheal's today, most probably the worse idea I could have had after walk out with a pile of material. I saw this skin and decided to get it even though the feathers had all be trimmed ($4). So I decided to tie up some Mrs. Simpsons, a fly that has great success in New Zealand. Basically it has an under body of red wool, 3 pheasant rump feathers on either side that are overlapping by about half a feather, and a peacock herl head.

Attachments

• skin.JPG
    skin.JPG
    424.4 KB · Views: 9
  • as-tied.JPG
    as-tied.JPG
    537.4 KB · Views: 3
  • wet.JPG
    wet.JPG
    471.8 KB · Views: 6
  • wet bottom.JPG
    wet bottom.JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 5
Nice fly!! Have seen the pattern before but just have to tie a couple to try out someday. Have a similar pattern called a church window that works good here in SW PA

JH

Did you use wool from Michaels, have purchased roving wool there and have used it in the past on streamer heads.

JH

I have a few in my box and really enjoy fishing them. They kinda flitter through the water (at least mine do, I've never seen a professionally tied one, so who knows how close mine are). I fish them the same way I fish a hornbugger. As far as the feathers go, I wish you'd have let me know, I have 3 or 4 freezer bags filled with those and only tie an occasional fly with them. I think I've inlaid more of them on rods than I have tied on flies.

Boyer

Back