Moving photos from Forum to Photos?

F

Fishidiot

Gentlemen,
I really enjoy the photos posted on this site. Since I started posting here more heavily in the past year I've added my fair share and appreciate the privilege of putting up fishing pics and "glory photos" of trout etc. More recently, I've been placing fish pics in with threads on the General Forum or under Stream Reports. Others seem to be doing the same. Frankly, I think displaying these pics in these threads helps improve the thread with some color and imagery. My concern is that, with the passage of time, many of these pics sort of disappear as the thread ages and passes down the list. I also enjoy scrolling back through the pics on the Photos section. I think, over the long term, pics get more exposure if they are placed in the Photos section rather than nested into threads on the General Forum etc.

Anyway, my question is, Would the mods object if I went back and copied some photos (mostly big fish shots that are currently in Stream Reports) over to the Photos section? I realize that duplication of material on this site is discouraged. I'm thinking about, perhaps, a dozen pics at the most. I think this way, future users of this site are more likely to see these photos. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure of the logistic and capacity of storing things on the server. See what Dave Kile thinks on this one since he has a better handle on that. You may want to get the permission of the person who posted the picture before copying it to the picture forum. Just a couple considerations.

Hi David,

I have thought the same thing about the really great photographs in the forums. Not sure how to approach this because we would be double posting the pictures on the site if they were moved from the forum to the Photo Section.

If there is a really good picture in the forums yes post it in the Photo Section too. There is a better chance that it will get seen over and over again.

Thanks and I hope that helps.

Dave

Hummmm.....

You can post them to the photo album, then using the URL for the picture, embed them in the forum. Just use either of the two icons to the left of the smiley, above the font controls.

Here's an example:

I went to the photo album and found the photo I wanted.

I clicked it to get it to open in a new window (alternatively, you can right-click it and choose view image)

I selected all the text in the address line of the new window.
Which is http://www.paflyfish.com/uploads/photos/1162.jpg

I copied that text into the computer clipboard.
(Control C or right click and choose copy)

Then I returned to this message and clicked on the image button.
I pasted the text into the first dialogue box, that asks for the URL of the image you want to post. (Control C or right click in the line and choose paste)

I clicked OK and then OK twice more to take the defaults.

Viola, the picture is posted once but appears in two places.

1162.jpg

The neat thing is that if you are telling a story about a day's fishing, the picture can appear IN THE TEXT as opposed to being an attachment.

As in... First I caught this awesome brown:
1163.jpg

And then I caught this pretty brook trout:
http://www.paflyfish.com/uploads/photos/1119.jpg

Back