Mousing

DyberryBrookies

DyberryBrookies

Now this is real terrestrial action.

https://vimeo.com/100714783

Why did a couple seem to be snagged? Is this the stinger-hook in action?

Jack,
Looks like its tied tube style. In one instance the fly has slid way up the trouts face on the line while the hook is in the fishes mouth at about 1:24 in the video. Thats my only guess. Also probably why that mouse looks so nice swimming.

If I made such a film, I wouldn't leave that to inference.

Had to tie one up!!

Attachments

• 0718141846.jpg
    0718141846.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 0718141843.jpg
    0718141843.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 0718141844a.jpg
    0718141844a.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 0718141844.jpg
    0718141844.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 0718141845.jpg
    0718141845.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 3
That video is sweet.

Agreed, one of the coolest Ive seen.

Wonder if palominos like 'em? ;) bet bass would too!

Bass def do...I took that fly above right to a small pond behind the house and got three in the 12 to 15 inch range. Not giants but still cool, and they tracked the fly up from the back the same way the one rainbow did in the video. Trust me when I tell you I was having a blast. Cant say if palomino will surface for Mr. Jingles (The Green Mile Movie Mouse) .....thats what Id name this fly haha.

JackM wrote:
Why did a couple seem to be snagged? Is this the stinger-hook in action?

I believe the excuse was, "missed his mouth when he took it."

:roll:

No misses, no stingers, and no foul hooks. Its a tube fly. The line is passing through a tube that the fly is tied on and the hook is in the back. Once the fish is hooked the fly can move up and down the line. The fly is not tied on a hook, its tied on a tube.

So, if someone said something like, "he must've spit it and I rehooked him" when videoing themselves catching a foulhooked fish...can we conclude this person is an idiot?

Cool video - enjoyed it.

I've often used mouse flies to locate bass or large trout in weedy creeks as they will show themselves to checkout a big potential meal. You can then target that same fish after dark or with a more finesse approach if he doesn't eat the mouse (as is often the case).

gfen, you can assume anything you want. But that is all that it will be is an assumption. And everyone knows what happens when you assume! Im done in the trenches....just posting info, ties, fish reports, etc. Rip all you want im done....

Fishidiot,
Sounds good dude. I cant wait to run this pattern on the Lackawanna...Rolling down the river. Cool song being played too.

Diggin tha Hornady info chart behind yer vise Brookman!

I did not realize mice have been reclassified as terrestrials.

Now this is real terrestrial action. https://vimeo.com/100714783

Thanks JG63, I gotta a couple lead slingers that I like to load for. Sold a 460 Smith and Wesson and a sig sauer 40 S and W with .22 conversion kit and rose grips all stainless to buy my sage one and an access reel with rio gold line....I kick myself everytime I think of that decision. Ill be honest though, Ive gotten way more use out of the rod. Typically, Ill use 154 gr. round nose hornady in my 7mm mag for deer, I know its way to big of a gun but I use low powder charges and it really is quite a nice load to shoot. And it goes through alot of crap without breaking apart right away....

My pet deer load for my .270 Win is 54 grains of IMR 4350 pushin a 130 grain spire point boat tail at just over 3000 FPS. never had a whitetail go more than 10 yards. Usually drops em on the spot. Before a miss (on a running buck I shouldn't have attempted) in the 2012 season, I went 12 for 12 one shot one kill bucks and does with that load. As of last season, I've stRted the streak again only this time it was the .243 Win 100 gr load.

ae02d99f487421e52554f76f74767a08.jpg

ccab974f0e330c2d1cc2b83a61a10bb5.jpg

d00e4fbd8ebf6f61730127841de77853.jpg

Sorry to hijack the thread. I'll shut up now. Got visions of venison dancing in me gulliver -

JG63,
My mouths watering for some venison speedies and a cold one. Up here we shoot loads that have the capacity to go through the brush a little better. Its a bit thicker in some of our woods. My ole man shoots the ballistic tips and drops his pretty quick also. .270 is a great caliber. Im thinking 25-06 for my next gun, I wanted a 257 weatherby but thats a bit on the pricey side. Although the vangaurd models are more affordable now. Good stuff man, its funny how us flyfisherman tend to lean towards the do-it-ourselves type of hobbies. Anyway, good talking loading with ya. Good luck fishing.

Back