Mousein'

• Thread starter BrookieBuster101
  • Start date
BrookieBuster101

BrookieBuster101

My buddy ties a nasty mouse pattern. All it is, is one of those fur mouse cat toys gorilla glued on a wide gap bass hook. You can add a mono weed guard too. See they have a plastic shell on the inside that holds a rattle and that helps with flotation, also i use the quick dry glue because it foams creating more floating power. The mice are real cheap and come in packs of three or five.

Im planning on making a bunch of these for several of my fishing creek trips. Lots of prime lies for big trout. And on my second trip i can do a little night fishing.

The frame where the fish is gutted and the 9 mice are in the stomach is nuts.

Oh I know its amazing that a land mammal, of all things could be a staple part of some trout's diet.

the concept that a trout could catch and eat 5 mice blows my mind

one of my goals this year is to catch a big brown on a mouse. I think that would be a thrill!

I'd have to guess dawn or dusk would be the best time...

i like these for night fishin..

Attachments

• 4-3-09 004.jpg
    4-3-09 004.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 2
  • mouserat.jpg
    mouserat.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 3
good to see sandfly post.we actually had a discussion about that.

Well, alright, Sandy is back I see.

Place was gettin' weird without some greyhairs fighting around here. ;)

Anyhoo... I would wager that those 5 mice in that fish's stomach may have been there a few days, I'm no expert, but its got to take awhile for a cold blooded animal to be able to digest that much intake in one go.

I could pack deer hair, or I could just glue on a cat toy, eh? I'll take the cat toy.

I caught a 10 inch brown trout in Maine on a 4/0 mouse.. hahaa

gfen wrote:

I could pack deer hair, or I could just glue on a cat toy, eh? I'll take the cat toy.

haha yea iv made some of the packed deer hair mice patterns myself but they jsut take way too long to make any in quantity.

How many mice does one need? I'd be fishing them on no less than 2x tippet. I'd imagine two is about all it would ever take.

true enough. But making the cat toy one is alot less time consuming. More time to tie other stuff i spose.

Where was that video shot? That is amazing and the water looks unreal.

I believe in New Zealand but i may be mistaken

Yep, New Zealand--just watched the DVD this weekend!

That video is crazy. If im not mistaken there were pics from a Penns Creek Brown that was gutted that had the same effect(abunch of mice in the stomach). Im going to have to try an find that.

I keep a box in one of my vest back pockets that usually has 3 or 4 mouse flies. I use 'em fairly frequently, usually in summer to fish under overhanging trees, for both bass and trout. While I get more bass on 'em, I usually get at least a couple trout in a year on mice, usually wild browns.

Back