Most popular nymphs

FlyMaster99

FlyMaster99

What nymphs do you guys use in pa, please tell me size and approximate date you use them?

I use a pheasant tail size 16, 18 and 20 all year long. It is the fly I usually start off with. I will tie it with and with out beads too.
Bill

I am like whiff. I usually use a pheasant with beadhead or without in different sizes all year round. I also like gold ribbed haresear in different sizes as well. I would say they are my 2 most go to flies when fishing and nothing is happening on the surface

Yep pheasant tail is probably my number 1 nymph. Some with beads, some without. I like 1xl and 2xl 14, 16, and 18 for beadheads and 1xl or standard length in 14-20 for no bead. I like flashbacks in off color water. Other favorites are the usual stuff, gold ribbed hares ear, prince, copper Jon in the same sizes as the PT's. Stonefly nymphs have worked well for me at times in sizes from 2 or 3xl 14- 20. I have a lot of other nymphs and variants but those probably get used more than the others.

I use the following in bead and non bead- mostly beaded though until water clears up and drops down.

1) pheasant tail is by far my number one
2) hares ear & grey squirrel nymph
3) caddis larva patterns
4) prince nymphs
5)stockie killer
6)large stone fly patterns
7)J bug

going to start trying frenchies this year, as well

Pheasant tail of some variation. They just seem to catch fish.

I think a size 20 zebra midge would be my favorite subsurface fly. Always produces even when I can't get a bite on a pheasant tail or hares ear.

if you live close to dauphin shoot me a PM you can stop by and I'll go over a bunch of stuff with you

Bow legged women, personal favorite

Don't forget the green weenie! That fly has saved me from the skunk more than once.

I use a PT (12 through 16), Olive Caddis larva/pupa, and a midge larva most every time I fish.

Favorite nymph so far is a beadhead olive hares ear size 16.

Beadhead prince, CopperJohns or a beadhead olive hares ear work well. Still working out the knots with my homemade midges.

Alot depends on the water depth/temp/clarity/hatch in choosing which nymph to use (size/color).

I never tried a bow legged nymph.

Olive scud

Walt's worm

Pheasant tail

Egg

Zebra Midge

Dark Sulphur Nymph

Mercury Baetis

Polish woven

Generic Tungsten Beaded, thread bodied, hot spotted, Euro nymph

Jujubaetis or wire bodied juju midge

I could get by with all of these but I carry many more patterns

Olive hares ear with a gold tungsten bead head is my go to

I use mostly PT nymphs, bead head soft hackle. size 14 to 22. Brown, Olive, Black and Natural. My niece gave me some feathers
from the Arcana chickens they have. Produces a gray or tan nymph or a molted gray and brown. Tied in the same style as the PT nymphs, size 14 to 22. Of course Green Weenies size 18 to 22 for trout, larger sizes for panfish

usually redheads followed by blonds :)

I'll gladly take the brunettes.

Most importantly: enough soft hackle where I can cuddle my head.

Back