More women hunting and fishing- nationally and locally

Just FYI. We run free beginner FFing classes every spring. In the past four years, over a thousand people have taken the class at the store. I would estimate that one third of the students taught over the last four years were women, and one third were kids under 16.

I ran a beginners fly tying class yesterday morning. I had 5 students....and 3 of the 5 were women.

I found this quote particularly funny..

It doesn't hurt women's interest in fishing, she said, that gear and clothing manufacturers such as Orvis and Patagonia have begun designing more clothing for them. Waders and boots for women are more fitted to the female frame, and some also include an "escape hatch" with a snap in the back of the waders so that women don't have to reveal all in order to relieve themselves in the field, Daniel said.

That outta bring the women into the sport in droves! :-D

Can we get an hatch in the front to make things a little easier... :-D

There was a time or two when I wished my waders had an "escape hatch", especially the noeprenes ;-)
While having a beer at the bar a few weeks ago, I overheard a woman (I'd guess to be in her early 60's) say she's glad the fashion feather trend is subsiding. Ashamedly, I assumed she was anti-fur/feather. Turns out she just wanted the cost to go back down so she could buy some new necks. Her father taught her how to tie back in the '70's and even though she doesn't fish anymore, she still enjoys tying. She said she could never see herself as an old woman doing needlepoint. I asked her what she does with the flies and she said use to sell them to her local fly shop, but now just displays them or gives them to her grandkids to fish. Very charming lady.

peace-tony c.

Now that's a lady I'd like to buy a drink!

Back