More good news for the Loyalhanna.

F

foxfire

http://triblive.com/local/westmoreland/11560473-74/loyalhanna-creek-association

Does this mean it will allow public access now? Or will it be like the Powdermill Conservatory is to Furnace Run ( or whichever Class A that is there in Laughlintown)? Which would mean no fishing.

I also heard the Keystone Select program was in jeapordy there next year. They found somewhere around a 80% mortality rate. I have not read that for certain, just hear say while at Ft. Ligonier days. Would anyone know if there's any truth to that rumor?

I doubt there will be public access considering the exclusive neighboring properties. I haven't heard about the high mortality issue...to the contrary, most guys I know who fish the Select program were extremely happy with the results. I'd be curious if someone had more info on that.

Nice to see and great question. Ive always wanted to fish the headwaters of the Loyalhanna but its all posted/private from what Ive seen.

724flyfishing wrote:

I also heard the Keystone Select program was in jeapordy there next year. They found somewhere around a 80% mortality rate.

I'd say 20% survival is OK for how bad conditions where on stocked streams this past year. For example, I doubt survival on Neshannock, also a KS stream, was above the low single digits.

I'd be surprised if that translates to public access. Even Powdermill Nature Preserve has no trespass.

acristickid wrote:
I'd be surprised if that translates to public access. Even Powdermill Nature Preserve has no trespass.

Yea, same here, which is a shame for us C&R fly fisherman. There's a lot of high quality, unique (wild rainbow), Class A's and wild trout streams in that area that are lost to Rolling Rock, The Powdermill Reserve, and other private property.

PennKev wrote:

I'd say 20% survival is OK for how bad conditions where on stocked streams this past year. For example, I doubt survival on Neshannock, also a KS stream, was above the low single digits.

I'd agree, but depending on when it was surveyed. 80% mortality by June 1st is obviously a whole lot worse than 80% by Labor Day. This is all a big "IF" it was even surveyed.

Back