More Fish Carvings

MathFish

MathFish

This Christmas came and again, I found myself working on more fish carvings. Throughout 2019 I ended up making 23 little fish carvings from July through December. However, I kind of lost my mojo for carving little fish and I didn't complete a single carving in 2020. I carved some, but didn't paint them. I had some unpainted carvings from 2019 and when I tried to paint them, I just couldn't seem to get the colors or the brush strokes quite right and I ended up hanging up my carving tools and paint brushes...

A few weeks before Christmas, I got a request to carve a little wild rainbow trout and another to carve a walleye. I hesitantly said that I would give it a try... I was a bit worried about the walleye, so I began studying images and made my sketch for a walleye pattern.

I also got inspired to also finish two lingering carving projects, a friend asked me to make a smallmouth and a rainbow back in February of 2020, and I ended up finishing those two as well.

I took some photos of the process of how I make them because I saw that drakeking412 had highlighted my first two carvings in his blog article that was featured in the homepage - Seven Ideas for Cabin Fever this Winter. I figured some people might want to see my process of making these. I didn't take any photos of the painting of the walleye though. When I get focused on painting and I'm in the groove, it's tough to set down the fish and remember to snap photos as I am layering on the colors. This is probably because I really don't know what I am doing and I am just kind of making it up as I go when I sit down to paint.

Here are some photos of the carving process:

The sketch & blank block - The wood is basswood.

50797936867_cf6205ad68_k.jpg

The pattern glued onto the block

50797067868_30248a56bd_k.jpg

Rough cut out on the scroll saw - I cut out the side view pattern first and then glue the upper and lower scrap pieces back onto the block and then cut out the pattern from the top view.

50797936777_571d4d170b_k.jpg

50797818951_a07818a1bd_k.jpg

The final rough cut

50797818906_43bb854ea3_k.jpg

Preliminary carving to expose and shape all of the fins

50797818871_b69035f2cd_k.jpg

50797067558_9361c706b9_k.jpg

50797937842_7aba33f48b_k.jpg

First rough sanding using 150 grit

50797068743_883c9534d2_k.jpg

Final sanding using 220 grit with gill, mouth, eye and dorsal fin details carved - I put a thin coating of super glue over the dorsal fin to reinforce the wood to try to avoid chipping when I carefully cut out the spikes in the dorsal fin.

50797937717_f2e95de920_k.jpg

50797068588_cad5068afa_k.jpg

50797937552_5ca31111a0_k.jpg

Painted fish - I learned that to achieve the texture of colors on this walleye that dabbing the paintbrush as opposed to using paint strokes helped me to achieve a better pattern for the coloration of the fish.

50797819541_690faaa633_k.jpg

50797068408_e91f117a9e_k.jpg

50797937287_b61359d082_k.jpg

Fish with clear coat applied

50797819361_ea2bfa6a83_k.jpg

Final result - I was very pleased with how this fish turned out. I was skeptical that I would be able to carve the fins - especially the dorsal fin with all of the spikes. I also thought that it would be very difficult to paint the color scheme since these fish have a very subtle pattern to them.

50797068153_0c882fb58c_k.jpg

50797819241_2e3125dd63_k.jpg

50797936972_0d326e7b3a_k.jpg

In the end, I am glad that I was requested to make this fish that I otherwise probably never would have carved. I have only ever caught one walleye and it wasn't with fly fishing gear but it was in a creek that could be fished with a fly rod. I ended up making two copies of this fish so that I would have one for my growing collection. When I was finished with it, I decided to checked and see if people fly fish for walleye since I had no knowledge of it and not surprisingly, people do! Maybe one day I'll have to give it a try.

Here are some photos of the other carvings that I worked on this past week and finished up today along with the two walleyes.

50798103637_51a02ebb08_k.jpg

50798102542_c8d2d19db1_k.jpg

50797987811_d1a1439945_k.jpg

If you're interested in seeing some of my carvings from last year, here is a link to my last carving post: Other Carvings Post

Next, I plan to make a small wild cutthroat trout and a small wild California golden trout. If and when I pull those off, I'll share that work here too. Thankfully my wife is still okay with me having my little trout carvings around the house - at least for now she is...

Thanks for reading.

Not to hijack this thread because I think you are doing a great job with these, but in looking for an Xmas gift, I came across this guy out of Muncy, PA and the work is absolutely phenomenal:

https://steve-shaner-carving-and-art.business.site/

MathFish: Great job on these!

Mathfish,

Wonderful work and thank you for all the detail. Glad to see you have been on it for the last couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing your upcoming winter projects.

Man these look phenomenal! The walleye is about perfect and you really nailed the paint job on all of them! Especially love that war painted smallie!

I know what it feels like to have "creative block" too, it sucks but working through it makes it feel that much better. Thanks for sharing!

Unbelievable! It must be nice to have talent. I could never in my wildest dreams even begin to carve and paint such wonderful pieces. I envy you.

Amazing work

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

I am happy to have this venue to share my work.

Hey rrt, I do think that talent does play a little role in this, but I do think that there may be more value in just experimenting with it. I have made my share of mistakes in figuring out how to do this - it’s just that I don’t make posts about my failures...

I started carving by just trying to make a pinewood derby car into a brook trout car and it has evolved into these little carvings. But I think more valuable than talent, is the time that I put into it. My first attempts at carving and painting weren’t too good. People said nice things about them, but looking back they weren’t good. This has been like my experience learning how to tie flies - the first fifty to a hundred or so I tied we’re not that good, and some might even argue that they still are so good, but I did catch fish with some of those first attempts at making flies, but they really weren’t too good.

So I say to anyone out there interested in trying something like this, give it a go! Don’t expect to be good at it at first, but if you put your time into it and you’re patient enough, you can probably do better than you think you would.

And also, have a decent supply of bandages! And a jar of superglue for closing up the little cuts... I don’t even want to know how many times I have cut myself while carving... in fact I should probably make sure my tetanus shot is up to date!

Back