More durable barbless hooks

Jlafko3

Jlafko3

Hi everyone,
the last few days I have been trying to find some barbless hooks that are a little thicker then the standard trout hooks that I typically tie with. I tie my flies with saber hooks from fly shack and they have been great for me for wild and stocked trout. I just took a trip to Erie this past weekend and noticed that my hooks were seriously bent when I got the fish to into my net. It honestly amazed me how the hook didn't pop out on several of my fish. I also noticed this happened
only on the fish I put a little more muscle into trying to land. If I let the fish run and really used my drag to tire them out, the hooks integrity was fine.

My question is does anyone know of a brand of hook that offers something like a 2x heavy fly tying hook that offer barbless? Or at least a brand that their hooks are a little thicker? In no way am I bashing sabers hook. They're good stuff and are very affordable, they just are not made to withstand with the power of a 5-7 lb steelhead. Thanks everyone.

I would recommend Fulling milling Jig force hooks, they are 2X heavy and can be bought at International Angler in Pittsburgh cheaper than most places on-line. I also like Partridge Ideal Jig Fly Hooks or the new wide Gap. The Hends 124 is decent value hook if price is a factor.

John

I would recommend a good pair of non-serrated needle nose pliers.

This will not only open up the entire universe of hook choices to you, it may also marginally increase the percentage of fish you hook that you actually land. That little bump can be useful and I've yet to hear anybody claim it increases hooking mortality..

FWIW, I landed several large Kings and Cohos on Saber’s 2X heavy globug hook for salmon/steelhead this year. Didn’t bend one.

Don’t know if they make any other 2X styles or any in barbless.

I used to use barbed hooks and I don't mind using them. Some of the flies in my box have barbs. I just feel like with the barbless hooks it's more convenient not having to rip it out of a fishs mouth. Although the main reason I use barbless is my flies last A LOT longer. They don't fall apart from using hemos on em. Thanks for your input guys. I guess I gotta fork out some dough for filling mill ????

Fulling mill are not too bad, i think 11 bucks for 50, so almost 3 the cost of Sabres.

If all your looking for is a heavy barbless hook. Buy a regular thick hook you like then cut the barb off or even just pinch it down with pliers.

I know I love sabers for the price. They're 6.99 for a pack of 100 barbless. Fulling mill is what I am going to have to get I think.

I am a fan of pinching down the barbs on my hooks. More types of hooks available than the few barb-less verities on the market. A quick pinch at the vice is all that is necessary. Usually the barbed hooks ar $1-2 cheaper per package than the barb-less ones.

I prefer to pinch them down too, but I often forget until it's too late stream-side/in a fish's mouth.

If I can remember, it's best for me to do it at the vise. I find that if its part of my tying routine and not my fishing routine, it's more apt to get done.

Czech mate thanks for suggesting fulling mill. Even tho they're kinda expensive they're great hooks and I see why they appeal to so many. The 2x heavy jig nymph hook in 14 is perfect.

Back