"mop" flies?

C

coyote

so, someone gave me a couple to try, but I forgot to ask how to fish them...

what's the proper way?

Thanks!

Nymph them using whatever technique you are most comfortable with(indicator, tightline, etc)

You fish them like a nymph.

I tie some mop flies with lead eyes. I drift and twitch.

Depends on the size. I've tied up a bunch on size 10 and 12 hooks. These I'll fish like a nymph. Larger ones like these I'll fish like a streamer.

Attachments

• P2160131.jpg
    P2160131.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 3
"Mop flies" are proof fish will eat anything.

deaddriftx wrote:
"Mop flies" are proof fish will eat anything.
Absolutely true. I heard none less than Don Douple and Lefty Kreh say the same thing. Any well drifted nymph could work. Only thing is, when they see that weird thing that got them hooked a few times before, they are disinclined to eat it. I've seen midge-sipping trout on the Little Lehigh gently chomp full sized leaves floating along on the surface. Not consume, of course, but close their mouth on it. It's burned into my brain because it was so amazing to me. It happened right a my feet.

Sucker spawn may indeed LOOK like sucker spawn, but it looks good in the water and gets stuck especially in the vomerine teeth of brown trout. They will mouth it but can't easily shed it, and then they freak out, your line *jumps* and we say, "They're POUNDING the sucker spawn today!" trout got fooled and so are we!

For a friend,I tyed some with hackle.

I bet they would work as a wet fly.

Thinking of tying some with hackle and a wing. Maybe calf tail ,mallard flank,or mallard flank dyed like wood duck.

shakey wrote:
For a friend,I tyed some with hackle.

I bet they would work as a wet fly.

Thinking of tying some with hackle and a wing. Maybe calf tail ,mallard flank,or mallard flank dyed like wood duck.

Tie that wet fly squirmy worm yet?

I haven only tied on a mop a few times and mainly with my kids. They're an easy tie for the kids to make and we have caught trout, bass and bluegill on them last year.

Dead drifted, swung or even stripped, they can work.

I flipped a rock this weekend when I was out and a dragon fly nymph was under one. Definitely the size and a similar size of a brown/grey mop. Also some larvae are about that size that are around the streams at time. I don't think its as bad as a fly as some think.

These are some floating mini-mop flies I just finished tying up for pan fish and maybe a trout or two.

Attachments

• P3250157 (2).JPG
    P3250157 (2).JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 5
Back