Montour Trail

F

Flyfishing42

I fished a creek next to the Montour trail I believe it was near some old mine in Fayetteville near moon township. Any who I caught 13 sucker fish (sorry no pics not that cordinted yet) it was was ok but not trout. I'm not from this area, does anyone know if there are trout in this creek? if so what section? You don't have to give away any secret spots, I'm just looking for a general area where I might have better luck next time. Thanks.

Most if not all of the streams in the Pgh area are devoid of trout without stocking. Check out the PF&GC stocking lists for area stocking. SWPA is a wild trout dead zone. Look to the Laurel highlands or Northwest PA for more and closer to Central Pa for even greater opportunities for wild trout outside the stocking opportunities.

Montour creek isn't the nicest place to fish...they dump buckets in the big pools along the trail down below the mall...haven't fished there in years but the water was nasty with s lot of garbage everywhere...if you do want to go I would go between the YMCA and the parkway or down by the sportsmans club...there a better local streams...pine creek is just north of the city...if your willing to drive and hour to an hour in a half there are many good choices

The creek is called Montour Run- a stocker stream in western suburban area of Pittsburgh.

The area below the mall gets stocked. Best way is to bike along it. Beside a very few deeper holes, most of the stream is pretty shallow and will heat up by the end of June.

Check the PA fish and boat website and search for stocking dates and locations for the stream- it's all there.

I use to live in Ventana Hills when i was in school. That stream was right below me and i use to fish the crap out of it. This was really before my fly fishing years, i would wait until the crowds die down and really fish it hard (had nothing else to do). I caught a butt load of trout and a fair amount of good ones. It was also fun when the drums came up from the river, they sure could fight.

I think FLY is referencing Montour Trail, not Montour Run?? There is a small crick - Peters Creek, that runs between Finleyville, South Park, Jefferson Hills, and Clairton that is stock by a local organization.

Montour trail is a rails-to-trail path starting around Canonsburg and running north to Corapolis. Montour Run starts somewhere near Imperial and MacDonald and run into the Ohio at Neville Island. The trail runs along the run starting around the airport. It looks like there may be an extension of the trail headed east from Canonsburg to Clariton.

Back