Montauk

Swattie87

Swattie87

Good documentary on the Montauk Striper fishing scene. Warning, mostly spinning gear related, but some entertaining guys and interesting techniques demonstrated here. Good history of Montauk and its fishing heritage too.

Montauk Reefs

Way back in the 1980's, I was roommates with a guy who guided for striped bass/shad, and anything else in the Delaware River between New Hope, PA-Trenton, NJ.

His lure of choice back then was a Rapala like lure called a black bomber. They were at least 12" in length. The stripers were not lure shy and would aggressively hit a lure that large.

Several years ago we went hunting for chukars on a game preserve about 10 miles northeast from the Morgantown exit off of the PA Turnpike.

He told me that he kept the shad and used big chunks of them for bait striped bass fishing for his clients.

Montauk is awesome and my most memorable day of surf FFing was there. There's a good book called The Moon Pulled Up and Acre of Bass by Peter Kaminsky that's worth reading if you're planning a trip.

I can still see in my mind after nearly two decades one of those days for me in Turtle Cove as I was standing on a rock in the surf and there was literally an acre sized school of bass blitzing right in front of me. One of the most epic days of FFing I've experienced.

Wish Montauk was closer - tough drive.

Back