Montana

englishprof

englishprof

Leaving July 11 for Bozeman. Staying in cabin on the Yellowstone just south of Livingston. Also fishing three days on Nelson's and Depuy's spring creeks. Then heading to cabin on Rock Creek for three days. Will meet up with Fadeaway and others on the 18th for a week on the West Fork of the Bitterroot where we fished last year. I know all about the low water conditions. Just interested in hearing about experiences from some of you guys who know these creeks and rivers. Thanks.

Have fun-sounds like the best of the best.

Say hi to the folks in Darby for me. We should be there in mid September.

Just got back from MT ! I fished the MO for 3 days and caught a ton of fish! Last year when I was in MT fishing the MO took a day and went to depuy and did well on bubble back PMD nymphs Hope to go again. The water is gin with weedy bottom

The Gallatin and Yellowstone are fishing great. Got the Yellowstone grand slam last week- in 3 hours I caught a whitefish, cutt bow, cutty, brown and rainbow. Those rivers rounded into shape later than most other rivers. Nice fishing same rig all the time , 3 or 4 X with a chubby and a prince dropper.

I always fish the pipe where the springs creeks enter the Yellowstone- it's free. Hee Hee

I would fish that Bitterroot trib I mentioned last year. Caught tons of west slopes and a bull trout on a dry there and it has lots of shade.

Rock Creek is nice , I fished near where the historic wind event happened. Saw big horn sheep there very close to the road.

Two years ago in September I fished the West Fork of the Bitterroot for seven days and stayed in Darby. Fishing was real good there, fished strictly wet flies. Then headed over and fished Rock Creek for seven days. Stayed at the Rock Creek Mercantile. Wading was a little tricky on both streams, but they were definitely what we were looking for. Access was pretty good on both. Of course at that time of the year not much hatching activity going on. It was an awesome trip. Definitely would fish those two again.

Mid sept.. in Montana you might want to hit the big rivers from sun down to sun up-using streamers.

I stayed in the very same location on the Yellowstone and caught some really nice browns and bows in the early morning hours on streamers just walking out our back door.

Rock Creek is loaded with fish. I caught a ton of bows and a few browns in the lower water nymphing and then drove way up stream and caught cutthroat on size 12 Adams dries tossing them into the pocket water. They smashed my offering without hesitation on most casts. Worth the drive up if you are looking for the cutties like I was.

I fished Bitterroot too. Same story there. Lots of fish on stone fly nymphs. Lots more whitefish though. Yellowstone had a lot of whitefish too.

Our cabin on the Yellowstone is about 100 feet from the river near the Loch Leven boat access. The one on Rock Creek is at the confluence of Rock and Stony creeks about 45 miles south of Clinton and 20 miles west of Philipsburg. The West Fork house is just across the river from where Nez Perce Creek joins it. Some reference points, CLS.

That is very close to where I stayed when I was there.

There is an RV park just upriver, toward Yellowstone NP, that was very good fishing. We were there early and caught a bunch of really good fish on streamers behind the RV park.

Man, you ruined my day now. I will be day dreaming of that all afternoon now . . .

Better fishing down river of Livingston than the valley from someone who spent 30years studying the area. Also in early sept.. the Yellowstone can yield some nice catches during daylight hours but unlikely to pick up any trophies [4pds +]then-different game from first hint of lite to sun on water or other end of day plus usually less wind also.Just don't make the mistake of wading where you should be fishing,those pockets along bank bends or eyes of pools can hold some monsters during no sun hours. if you ever get the chance check out the Yellowstone during a chinook in Jan.. absolutely the clearest water I have ever seen.great fishing to as the fish will be schooled up.If you find the underground springs you can have 50 fish day in a couple hundred yards but still the Missouri is the better choice as it takes a 5 pder there to count.

http://fwp.mt.gov/news/restrictions/waterClosure.html

I found Rock Creek to be very tourist friendly, I would spend alot of time there if I had a different life. No guides or boats or instructions needed, fish where you think they are and there you go.

Rolf,

Saw that today. So far, we're okay on the West Fork ten miles north (downstream) from the dam. No restrictions yet.

My brother and I spent a week on rock creek in early July last summer. Water was pretty high, around 900 cfs most of the time we were there. It was extremely difficult to wade, but it's at a great level right now. I'm sure it will fish very well. Watch out for moose, I had one step out of the brush 15 feet away from me while I was fishing around the microburst area. It had a calf across the river. Made me pretty nervous.

yeah-moose are the only animals I had trouble with-not sure if they are very dense or just nasty but if you are biking up an old logging trail and one is standing in the middle-you aren't getting past.lol

There is a noticeable rock near the middle of the Yellowstone River close to the Loch Leven boat ramp. Not sure you can reach that far if wading from the bank, but we've caught some nice Browns there at lower water levels - with big articulated streamers.

How's that for hot spotting? But I didn't tell you which side of the rock.

(Incidentally, I am located on the Yellowstone a few miles up the river from where you will be staying there, and often float, and fish, that part of the river.)

Enjoy your trip.

John

hows skunk island fishing-use to love that in the fall.No place in the west had a better aura about it for evening fishing.Down right romantic in spite of the name.

Back