Montana FWP Weekly Digest Bulletin

GeneBeam

GeneBeam

North Cornwall Township, Lebanon County, PA
Montana FWP Weekly Digest Bulletin email just gave a call for comments on “Fish and Wildlife Commission to hold public hearing on the use of remote-controlled devices and drones while fishing”

http://fwp.mt.gov/news/newsReleases/commission/nr_0296.html

I just sent in my comments stating that I could never come up with any possible reason for the use of a remote-controlled boat, drone, or other remote-controlled device while or during fishing.

One use which was explained to me decades ago that supposedly occurs in Pa was to use remotely controlled boats (toys) to deliver baits or lures to locations on lakes where the boating public was excluded due to safety or security concerns. Have not heard of that since.

Saw that on a fishing show many years ago. They were after big cats at the base of a dam. Boats anchored up just past the safety zone and they used remote control boats to drop bait closer to the dam than they could cast.

This video just reinforces my belief that there is never a possible good reason for the use of a remote-controlled boat, drone, or other remote-controlled device while or during fishing.

I checked this one out and found a YouTube channel of How to Drone Fish videos. I just didn’t know that there was as many narcissistic people out there.

People use drones when making fishing films all the time and since Montana is a popular fly fishing destinaiton so the use will proably continue.

I dont see how you would ever enforce this in the backcountry anyway but I could see where it might be an issue in the more popular tourist areas.

holy crab apples!!...what a d*ck

Holy cows...

HopBack wrote:
People use drones when making fishing films all the time and since Montana is a popular fly fishing destinaiton so the use will proably continue.

I dont see how you would ever enforce this in the backcountry anyway but I could see where it might be an issue in the more popular tourist areas.

Can't say that I ever remotely thought of using a drone for actually fishing; my thoughts were along the lines of just capturing footage while fishing or of places where fish live (dkile has some nice footage he has captured). I think that can be done respectfully, without interfering with other anglers, if drone usage etiquette is followed. And I'll keep an open mind about using drones for actually fishing. Fishing methods evolve - we don't use sinew and bone hooks anymore, unless someone wants to try their hand at primitive living, so just because something doesn't look like what we are accustomed to doesn't mean it is a bad thing. There are narcissistic drone fishermen out there for sure, but there are just as many, or more, narcissistic fishermen that use traditional methods with a rod in hand.

Using a drone to fish redefines fly fishing. :)

Drone footage is super good anyone actually fishing with one should be put in timeout

Holy cow!
I find it very offensive to hike back in to some remote place and find (worse yet hear) a drone. They are offensive.
If any of the drones can carry big rocks I could see Brother Genebeam dropping rocks on Snakeheads, lol. ????

Hope that cat stays in NY. Seems to me he ate too many fermented crabapples.

A couple of years ago I was at the southern of the Big Island of Hawaii (a true paradise). A number of native fisherman were lined up on the top of a 100 ft cliff. The wind was blowing out to sea. They would attach their lines to balloons which would then take their line many 100s of yards out to sea before they would yank on it to release it in search of something huge. Primitive drone?

Frankly, I think it is pretty creative to use a drone or RC boat to help your own fishing, but I could see where this would be problematic if it became at all commonplace. Mostly it is a potential disturbance to other fisherman and folks enjoying the outdoors, but I could see other problems with drones bringing fishing tackle to areas which are otherwise off-limits to fishing or otherwise unreachable.

PennKev wrote:
Frankly, I think it is pretty creative to use a drone or RC boat to help your own fishing, but I could see where this would be problematic if it became at all commonplace. Mostly it is a potential disturbance to other fisherman and folks enjoying the outdoors, but I could see other problems with drones bringing fishing tackle to areas which are otherwise off-limits to fishing or otherwise unreachable.

Agree.

I'm not a techie and generally disdain the latest gadgets marketed to outdoorsmen but I agree that some creative types have come up with some cool solutions to angling limitations. And I've enjoyed many of the drone videos now so common on Youtube and in angling shows.

But yeah... where does this stop and at what point does widespread embrace of these things become a nuisance for everyone else? When does this sort of thing become bad faith efforts to evade rules and regulations that exist for sound reasons? Unlike trail cams, drones are not discreet.

Hhmmm...

What a weenie! Too bad somebody didn't steal his drone when he ran back to the house.

Back