Monster Streamers!

F

Fishidiot

The old adage, "big lure, big fish" of course holds some validity with regards to FFing as much as it does with conventional tackle. Large streamer flies have long been a favorite of mine for not only big trout but warm water and saltwater gamefish as well. Perhaps the size and bright colors trigger a predatory reaction in gamefish. Many innovative tiers and FFers like Kelly Galloup have popularized big streamers for trout for some time. I consider any trout streamer longer than about 2 inches to be big and, to me, "monster" implies a trout streamer about 3+ inches. Of course, trout have a maddening tendency to nip at the tails of streamers and I have found a stinger hook nails many of these fish so I tie many of my Monster Streamers in a jointed fashion with a smaller trail hook. Just bear in mind that some special reg trout waters allow only single hook flies.

To tie my Monster Streamer, you will connect the two hooks with a wire or heavy mono loop.

STEP ONE: Tie the back half of the fly first. In the below photos, the back hook is tied with an olive zonker strip as wing over a chennile body and marabou is used as the underwing. This section will be attached to ride hook up so the zonker underwing will actually form the lower wing when the fly is complete.

STEP TWO: Attach the finished back half to the shank of the main hook with a loop, ensuring that the loop is lashed down thoroughly. The forward part of the fly is tied on a plastic worm hook with curved shank and eye. These hooks, while not often used by trout guys, work great. They're usually laser sharpened and can be bought in packs of a few at Wal Mart or similar places. By tying a lead dumbell eye on this style of hook, the shape of the hook helps force the fly to ride hook upward when fished (thus reducing snags).

STEP THREE: Once you have attached the rear section, complete the forward section. In this case, the same chennile underbody is used with a rabbit fur strip and marabou on top. Some chrystal flash is added and a pink rabbit strip collar is tied in hackle style for added mass and profile. Although not shown in the photo of the finished fly, you can further improve this fly with a mono loop weed guard or extended wire bite tippet for toothy critters.

Attachments

• MonsterStreamer 1.jpg
    MonsterStreamer 1.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 8
  • MonsterStreamer 2.jpg
    MonsterStreamer 2.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 3
Nice! looks like a good one for bank busting on the D

Nice Dave I have all of Kelly's DVDs including his streamere ones . I f you want I will mail you a copy :-D

Back