Monocacy Biologist Report

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Good to see the wild trout in this stream appear to be holding up well:

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/fisheries/afm/2009/5x01_16monocacy.htm

The section above the TT SR is stocked, and below it's classified as a Class A. There is also a Class A section a few miles upstream around Bath. This is one example I used as a Class A ATW.

I'd love to see the ATW section upstream surveyed for the presence of wild trout. There aren't that many streams left that have the ability and/or potential for wild trout to thrive. The Lehigh Valley is blessed with quite a few. We should try to identify and preserve as many of them as possible, IMO.

#92 is the SR and #102 is the ATW section on the map:

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/water/county/pfbcmaps/nortn.htm

I saw this creek for the first time last night, and it looked good. I was walking through historic bethlehem and didn't have a fly rod. Might have to give it a shot.

I grew up in bethlehem. The monacacy is the stream i learned to fish for trout on as a kid and then after moving back from the catskills i lived in bethlehem for another few years - it is a GREAT stream - I am always amazed at the number of fish even through the "urbanized" areas. I've fished the historic area, but my personal preference is the trophy trout waters above illicks mill and the "natural" area below the park.

Jay, you're like Waldo......you're everywhere. At least everywhere that has fish and/or cold beer.

afishinado wrote:
Jay, you're like Waldo......you're everywhere. At least everywhere that has fish and/or cold beer.

:lol:

I've gotta strap in and enjoy it while it lasts, my friend.

I took a girl from up that way on a date up there. It was snowing, so we took a walk through the park. It was nice, even though she was a little skeeved out by the fact that I was crawling through snow and reaching to get an idea of the temps in the creek. :lol:

Well, if you plan on dating her for any length of time, its better she learn what shes in for now rather than later.

The Monocacy today is not what it was three years ago. The stream continues to be stripped of fish by people with spinning gear fishing live bait, and yet when receiving a complaint the fish commision does nothing.

It's time to take this stretch of water and move it to C&R fly fishing only. Protect our regulated streams by doing total C&R.

How many more fish did the stream have 3 years ago? I ask because the survey results seem to show that fish greater than 10" and 14" respectively are closer to historical highs than they are to historical lows. Are bait guys really cleaning out the stream?

Funny thing about this is that the last time I was there I saw the WCO writing a ticket to a flyfisherman for fishing without a license in the TT section.

Back