Mono rig for streamers

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Attached is link and video discussing the use of a mono rig for fishing streamers.

I have used mono for nymphing to try it out, but I don't use this rig for my fly-fishing. The streamer rig discussed is an interesting idea, and I have no doubt it works, but I question if using it is fly-fishing or merely fishing using a fly and fly rod outfit.

Check it out and see what you think>

P.S. He didn't cast this all mono rig in the video, I'd like to see how he makes out.

https://troutbitten.com/2020/12/14/video-fly-fishing-the-mono-rig-streamers-episode-1/

https://troutbitten.com/2020/12/02/streamer-presentations-the-tight-line-dance/

I'm by no means a traditionalist, but I do think it's interesting when the latest innovations are things that would have made me decide not to get into fly fishing if they were prevelant when I started.

I've used mono rigs for streamers for many years.

I've been around the horn on this mono rig stuff. Wrote it off initially, then curiosity got the best of me. It's wicked effective. Then I messed around with mono+streamers. I used a short rod (mostly because of stream cover) + heavy sculpin. Strip out 10 feet of mono, bow-n-arrow cast or sling the heavy streamer and shoot the mono = 17 foot cast with the flip of the wrist.

Then I questioned why I was doing it. At that point, just use an ultralight spinning rod with soft plastic jigs. It's darn near the same thing and arguably just as effective.

Anyway, I sold the 10'-6" rods, threw away the maxima and started buying antique bamboo rods, even got some vintage silk line, an antique line dryer, some WWII era click/pawl reels and I'm enjoying it much more.

To each his own I guess.

I dare say Izaak Walton (though mainly a bait guy) and Charles Cotton (who preferred flies) wouldn't recognize a 7-foot 3 weight. Things change. In classic Victorian fly fishing (a century-plus after Walton), it was regarded as unsporting in certain circles to let the fly drag or to impart any motion whatsoever. Then again, it was unsporting in those days to practice catch and release because the trout's take after feeling the pinch was not considered the take of a fully wild fish. Live and learn.

Personally, unless there's a really good hatch or the beetles are falling in the creek like rain, I would prefer to never fish with dry flies. I was hesitant to learn the tight-line and related nymphing techniques, but, as I am primarily a nymph and streamer guy, I'm glad I gave in. It really upped my game, even when I'm doing more standard nymph fishing.

Anyhow, interesting videos. I'm eager to give this mono streamer thing a try. When you consider how many dozens or even hundreds of trout are in a section of say Penn's Creek, it really is amazing that a five-fish day is respectable and a 10 fish day is good. I'm all for anything that will up the number of strikes I get!

40 years ago we used mono rigs to fish bait on a fly rod. What's old is new again.

I built a Mono-rig last year according to the Troutbitten site formula. I was never able to get it to cast well. Maybe with a lot of weight, (streamer) it would cast better. Or maybe I just didn't work with it long enough. On my first trip with it, I ended up cutting it off and just going back to the regular flyline.

At some point you might want to consider one of those new fangled things called spinning rods. They can hold a lot of mono.

Yes, it is too bad that Pennsylvania removed the max leader regs, now we have people spin fishing with a fly rod.

Sounds like quite the stretch there, heh

drossi wrote:
40 years ago we used mono rigs to fish bait on a fly rod. What's old is new again.

My dad showed me this technique. Lots of people throw minnow rigs like this. You don't see it too often these days but if you do you know they are an old timer or were taught by one.

He seems to really be enjoying whatever he’s chewing.

Back