Mono rig \ Euro nymphing

mute

mute

So I figured its time for me to try something new and im very interested in switching from my traditional indicator drift methods to tight lining.

Ive watched and read a handful of videos and articles(troutbitten, George daniels, etc) on the internet and found 3 common ways to create a tight lining rig.

1. Euro fly line > 4' 15lb Maxima Chameleon > 2' sighter material > tippet ring > 3-6' 4-6x tippet

2. Euro fly line > 6' 20lb maxima > 6' 15lb > 6' 12lb > tippet ring > 2' sighter > 4-6' 4-6x tippet

3. No need for euro fly line, in fact eliminate the fly line out of the equation all together with the sheer amount of length of Mono. 24' 20lb maxima chameleon > 2' 10lb Maxima > tippet ring > 12" 12lb Red Amnesia > 12" 10lb Gold Stren > tippet ring > 2-4' Tippet

I trying to decide which one seems to be a happy medium with the least amount of frustration while trying to learn \ tie \ fish the rig. When im nymphing im usually doing so on a 10ft 3wt. I also usually fish 2 and sometimes even 3 nymphs at a time.

Troutbitten has alot of explinations on why choice #3 is the way to go, but it also might seem like the most complex. The most amount of different mono lines linked together (the two different colors being used as a sighter as well i imagine) along with just the sheet amount of mono total after the fly line. However I believe with this setup it allows also for chucking streamers on the same setup quite effectively.

I personally am leaning towards #1 as it seems the most straight forward with the least amount of different materials used, but does anyone think #2 is more successful or beneficial in anyway with the tapered down mono? It seems with #1 theres also less distance of mono involved so your euro line would definitely be outside of the rod tip for drifts, where with #2 you have a good bit more length of mono where id assume virtually no sag is involved outside the rod tip.

I just tried tight line nymphing this week and #1 was close to what I used. Worked good for me. And it is pretty simple.

I use #1 and it is very effective

3. No need for euro fly line, in fact eliminate the fly line out of the equation all together with the sheer amount of length of Mono. 24' 20lb maxima chameleon > 2' 10lb Maxima > tippet ring > 12" 12lb Red Amnesia > 12" 10lb Gold Stren > tippet ring > 2-4' Tippet

The fly-fishing only regs state

65.14 (2) Fishing shall be done with tackle which is limited to fly rods, fly reels and fly line with leader material or monofilament line attached. Spinning, spincast and casting rods and reels are prohibited.

I know at one time it also stated that an 18-foot leader was the max, but I see that they removed that regelation, but you still need a fly line if fishing under the catch and release fly-fishing only reg.

So the 33-foot 10-inch mono rig leader shown on troutbitten would be legal if tied to a fly line, under the catch and release fly-fishing only regelation, but then IMO you would just be spin fishing with a fly rod and a fly.

GeneBeam wrote:

The fly-fishing only regs state

65.14 (2) Fishing shall be done with tackle which is limited to fly rods, fly reels and fly line with leader material or monofilament line attached. Spinning, spincast and casting rods and reels are prohibited.

I know at one time it also stated that an 18-foot leader was the max, but I see that they removed that regelation, but you still need a fly line if fishing under the catch and release fly-fishing only reg.

So the 33-foot 10-inch mono rig leader shown on troutbitten would be legal if tied to a fly line, under the catch and release fly-fishing only regelation, but then IMO you would just be spin fishing with a fly rod and a fly.

My choice of verbiage was poor. When i say "eliminate the fly line out of the equation" I dont mean dont have a fly line. It basically stays on the reel and hardly ever, if ever see water. Obviously because the Mono is so long. Troutbitten articles provides valid justifications on why even with this setup it is not the same as spin fishing although youre reaping some benefits. Worth a read.

I switched to fishing a mono rig about a year ago. My advice is to keep things simple and not get too caught up with the complicated leader formulas you will see at various websites. Just get yourself around 2 or 3 rod lengths of mono (15 or 20# or thereabouts will do) and tie it to your fly line. Connect that via tippet ring to 2' or so of sighter. Connect that via tippet ring to a couple feet of 5x or 6x tippet like you would normally use. Keep it simple and use it for a few outings to get the hang of it. Then you can tweak it any way you like. Good luck.

Clams wrote:
I switched to fishing a mono rig about a year ago. My advice is to keep things simple and not get too caught up with the complicated leader formulas you will see at various websites. Just get yourself around 2 or 3 rod lengths of mono (15 or 20# or thereabouts will do) and tie it to your fly line. Connect that via tippet ring to 2' or so of sighter. Connect that via tippet ring to a couple feet of 5x or 6x tippet like you would normally use. Keep it simple and use it for a few outings to get the hang of it. Then you can tweak it any way you like. Good luck.

That sounds like a great happy medium. Im assuming whenever a break off \ snag \ line mess happens youre most likely only tieing on new tippet from the ring downward?

Hey Mute,

"Euro" fly line is simply thin diameter level fly line. That being the case, you can use the back end (running line) of a light weight trout fly line instead of buying a "Euro" line. You can either reverse a WF line or cut 20' or so of running line from an old line you have hanging around.

Good advice in the above post by Clams to keep it simple and experiment with rigs and equipment before buying stuff.

Any given time on the stream, I switch back and forth from nymphing, dries, wets and streamers. I simply make quick adjustments to the terminal end of my rig to enable me to remain flexible. It works for me.

afishinado wrote:
Hey Mute,

"Euro" fly line is simply thin diameter level fly line. That being the case, you can use the back end (running line) of a light weight trout fly line instead of buying a "Euro" line. You can either reverse a WF line or cut 20' or so of running line from an old line you have hanging around.

Good advice in the above post by Clams to keep it simple and experiment with rigs and equipment before buying stuff.

Any given time on the stream, I switch back and forth from nymphing, dries, wets and streamers. I simply make quick adjustments to the terminal end of my rig to enable me to remain flexible. It works for me.

Great points, makes sense to save $50 or so. Now to see if happen to have any extra 1wt line.

I tried reading this thread because the topic is interesting, but the movement on the page made that pretty much impossible.

Some people are willing and able to read text online despite "squirmage," but be aware that many people are not.

troutbert wrote:
I tried reading this thread because the topic is interesting, but the movement on the page made that pretty much impossible.

Some people are willing and able to read text online despite "squirmage," but be aware that many people are not.

Do you use a modern browser today like Edge or Chrome? There are Addons\Plugins you can quickly install that you can block resources at the browser level. Adding "http://www.paflyfish.com/uploads/cavt4c22c745b7b6a.gif" into one of said addons would solve the image movement issue on this site.

I just use 20lb chameleon down to the bicolor sighter and tippet ring with however many feet of fluro I am using at the moment. Works good enough for me. Really simple and I have enjoyed using it.

What made you go with 20lb instead of day 15 or 12?

I've used the mono rig for about 4 years and it's not complicated. You can adjust as you get used to it or a others have said you could go straight 20# Maxima to tippet ring to 4x-6x. I've had the best fishing with the mono rig numbers wise. Being able to switch from nymphs to streamers to removing and putting a dry fly leader on to the fly line. It's a great system. Keep it simple and with a few hours on the water you will figure it out. It was a game changer for me.

Mute, the 20# is a little thicker so it’s easier to handle IMO. Based off what I’ve read on troutbitten and in GD’s Modern Nymphing, that seemed to be the recommended line. To be honest, I have not yet experienced with lighter line, but I have really liked the results of the 20# chameleon.

Another option is the Rio "shorty" euro line. A much shorter euro type fly line you can loop/loop connect to your existing fly line.

This is a comment I made a week ago about the Rio Shorty. I am curious what others have thought about it.

I have a dedicated Euro setup strung with an extremely light level line. Cortland, I think. Impossible to do anything other than euro with it and it is deadly.
I bought a Rio shorty to use when I’m am out with other rods. I found it unnecessarily long and the loop connection to the leader defeated the sensitive connection. And it was too much for my reel.

I plan to cut it in half, cut one loop off and use the Olsen Super Glue connection to leader.

Anybody??

STONEMAN wrote:

I have a dedicated Euro setup strung with an extremely light level line. Cortland, I think. Impossible to do anything other than euro with it and it is deadly.
I bought a Rio shorty to use when I’m am out with other rods. I found it unnecessarily long and the loop connection to the leader defeated the sensitive connection. And it was too much for my reel.

I plan to cut it in half, cut one loop off and use the Olsen Super Glue connection to leader.

Anybody??

I'd probably just cut off the desired length of the level line you already have and try that before you ruin a "special" line. For what it's worth, the Euro lines I've seen have not impressed me. They are essentially very light level lines, or at least nearly so. But they cost 2-3+ times as much as level running lines. Even the Rio Shorty is more expensive than a running line.

My current Euro rig is .30" cheapo eBay running line on a "2wt" rod. It works like a charm. If I wanted to use similar set up on my 10' 4wt, which I often use just as an all-round rod, adding a short section of level fly line to the end of the conventional line makes sense. I mean, if I want to cast dries I'm taking that crap off anyway. That's the whole point of the Rio Shorty. In fact, such a set up is probably not a bad idea even on the 2 and 3wt Euro rods as a reel loaded with only light, level line or one of the Euro lines is pretty limited in capability. Maybe a reel with a standard 4wt line and a modular level tip is the way to go on all set ups, even a 10' 2wt Euro rig.

Btw, there are several diameters of cheap running lines out there so you have options.

Back