Mono loop tail for jig hook nymph

L

lestrout

geebee wrote: " I just saw a new way to the them - with a 10lb or so mono loop for a tail, so you can tye off the dropper tippet to that rather than the upturned bend of the hook !" - how would the dropper act differently when tied to the tail mono loop?

Been using mono loops at the rear of my flies for years. The purpose in this is to simply make it easier to tie on the dropper. I don't think the dropper fly itself acts any differently. I use much heavier mono than 10lb. I prefer 20lb as it is stiffer and this makes it easier to tie on to. However, if your flies are small, then thinner mono would be needed.

The big question here is: If you're tying a mono loop onto the hook shank of the fly with tying thread and tying a dropper onto the loop, how strong is the connection? Any attachment with just tying thread holding something onto the hook just doesn't seem to be able to withstand the stress of fighting a good fish on the dropper.

+1

So, another question is this: Which is more difficult, tying a dropper to the eye or bend of the hook, tying a dropper above a knot, or adding a mono loop to a fly while tying.

IMO, it seems like you're solving one problem and creating another. The stronger the mono loop, the more time to tie the fly (additional thread wraps and glue) and the more it will limit fly action/movement.

As a winter coping mechanism I've though a lot about what triggers a fish to eat an artificial fly. Movement, i think, is a key trigger. So, anything that may limit that movement such as tying a dropper to the hook in any way may limit overall fly movement. Material micro-movements (think "soft hackle") are a different topic.

Look up Kelly Gallup's dropper nymph system on YouTube for the detailed rational behind this and how dropper attachment affects it.

I don't do it that often. But I prefer to tie directly to the hook bend with a UNI knot. It is easy to tie. If I want to change flys, you can slide the knot up off the hook. Just leave the loop open. But this is mostly with a dry dropper. Many times the dropper fly is on a short tippet. So I can store the tippet and fly in a box or small zip lock bag.
If I decide to use that fly again I just get it out, slip the loop over the hook bend and pull tight. Very easy.
Beyond that I just use tippet rings.

GenCon

Back