Mono Loop on the End of Line

phiendWMD

phiendWMD

I have a short piece of mono on the end my line with a loop, for a loop to loop connection of my leader. Today I changed leaders and noticed it is rough looking. I'm going to change it before I fish again. I had just recently changed leaders. Either I failed to notice it or it got much worse quickly. So my question is, to anyone who uses a set up like this, how often do you change it?I'd like to catch it next before it gets this bad.
Also if you change yours as much as I change mine, now would be a good time to inspect it.

I have this setup on a few of my lines and haven't really had any issues, other than sometimes reeling it in through the guides. The nail knot and perfection loop(or whatever knot you use) can get caught.....which could be a reason for wear and tear.

Just regularly inspect it and tie on a new one when needed. The one connection on one of my lines, which I use somewhat often, is like 2 years old haha. I certainly wouldn't wait that long to check it but if there's no problems with it just keep fishing away. I'm cautious of even the slightest knicks and cracks if they look like they'll become worse.

When someone comes in the shop with a mono loop on their line I ask permission first and pull hard on it. More than half of them break off, usually at the nail knot.

Check and retie often. It's really not a big deal. Tie a good nail knot and coat the nail knot UV goop or something like Aquaseal to seal the fly line from water and to protect the knot and make it last longer.

I use about 6 in. of red Amnesia line. This works great for me and I check it before I hit the water. Only takes a second or two. Replace when bad. The red can be like an indicator. Hope this helps.
Sean

Back