Mono Backing

Baron

Baron

I think we covered this before but I need a reminder. I purchased a nice old Medalist reel. Cleaned it all up but didn't take the line off of it. Today I took it out to lawn cast a bit and realized the line is a Double Taper and it casts quite nicely. Then I noticed that the backing is Mono. I have a fishing trip to TN on Friday and am short on time. May I assume that since the previous owner did OK with it perhaps its likely that I will also?
This is probably the third or fourth Medalist that I've purchased used that had mono backing. The line takes up almost the whole spool.

I would say it's fine. Most fresh water species aside from steelhead or salmon never put you onto your backing. I know a few people who just use normal mono for backing on their trout reels just to take up space.

The only problem with mono is that if you get taken into the mono backing, it could stretch when it is wound back on the spool. It could then contract and crush the arbor. This is all theoretical of course and you'll probably be fine. For peace of mind replace with dacron when you have the time.

Mono for backing on your Medalist is fine.

How old is it? Feel like I would be really nervous about 5,10,20+ year old mono breaking on a big fish. Are you heading to a Tennessee tail water???? If so I wouldn't risk a fish of a lifetime on that.

I'll be in Powell or Clinch rivers where they empty into the Norris Res. I can always take the backing with me as I could put it on during the evening when sitting around with family.

My only concern, which I think was already mentioned, is if it's an old reel, how long has the mono been on there. I've switched over to either fluorocarbon or braid on my spinning reels, but when I was using mono I would change the line every spring. The only reason I use Dacron is when I was doing more offshore fishing we brought large spools of Gudebrod to fill our Internationals with 20, 30 or 50 pound line. I used that for backing on my reels.
Have fun in Tennessee. I spent 5 years in the NW part of the state long before I took up fly fishing. No trout there but plenty of warm water

The Medalist reel on my Eagle Claw 6'6" has a 4WT DT line on it, and yes, the line pretty much takes up the whole reel. For the type of fishing I do with that rod (brookie fishing), I'm not worried about ever getting taken into the backing. For that matter, I rarely even do much traditional casting with it, but instead more "bow and arrow" and "dapping". For the smaller Medalist reels, I'd have to suspect most people who fish with them aren't too concerned about being taken into the backing... As for your situation, you should be fine!

Thanks for all of your comments. Yes on my little Medslist there isn’t any backing and the WF line was trimmed somewhat to get it on. Still my favorite. But down in TN there is the chance of walleye, strippers or hybrids and I don’t want to be torn up. I’ll likely be using the larger 1495 most of the time.

Thanks for all of your comments. Yes on my little Medslist there isn’t any backing and the WF line was trimmed somewhat to get it on. Still my favorite. But down in TN there is the chance of walleye, strippers or hybrids and I don’t want to be torn up. I’ll likely be using the larger 1495 most of the time.

You'll be fine. I don't see how any trout (regardless of where you are) should ever be taking you into your backing. Seriously, if you're being taken into your backing you're way under gunned for the fishing you're doing and the trout will probably be so exhausted from the fight that it will die upon release. I think the only way it could happen is if you hooked a fish on an extremely long cast where all of your line is already cast out....then maybe. But you'll fish much better and catch more at shorter distances, anyways.

It's kind of like a seat belt you'll probably be fine with no backing, but if it hits the fan you'll wish you had it.

jifigz wrote:
You'll be fine. I don't see how any trout (regardless of where you are) should ever be taking you into your backing. Seriously, if you're being taken into your backing you're way under gunned for the fishing you're doing and the trout will probably be so exhausted from the fight that it will die upon release. I think the only way it could happen is if you hooked a fish on an extremely long cast where all of your line is already cast out....then maybe. But you'll fish much better and catch more at shorter distances, anyways.

I couldn't disagree with this statement more. I've had trout take a dry fly and be in my backing in what seems like 2 seconds. If I did anything except keep my hand away from the reel it would have popped for sure. There are at least three rivers that I frequent where I check the knot to my backing on before I rig up. Doesn't happen alot, no but it sure does happen. I don't know much about the rivers he is fishing except that one is a tail water with some big trout. Take the line of the reel down to the backing and pull really hard.....quick and simple.

ryansheehan wrote:
Take the line of the reel down to the backing and pull really hard.....quick and simple.

Easy enough to do.

Back