Modern Midges

beadhead2

beadhead2

Does any one have Modern Midges :Tying and fishing the world's most effective patterns by Rik Takahashi ?
If so is it any good and is it worth buying ?
Thanks
beadhead2

Just the midge patterns alone were reason enough for me to buy the book IMHO I'm looking forward to trying some of the midge patterns out winter.

I have it and find it very confusing, there are so many patterns you don't know which one to do first(LOL). This is probaby the largest pattern book I seen with just midges.

I picked mine up off Amazon for around $25.00 new.

Thanks

Rick

Thanks
Frederick and Rick ,I was told by a friend of mine that the binding came apart so he sent it back and got a new one ,second one did the same thing ! any one else have this problem ?

Naw, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn..

I haven't had any problems with the binding on mine

RickinPa wrote:
I have it and find it very confusing, there are so many patterns you don't know which one to do first(LOL). This is probaby the largest pattern book I seen with just midges.

I picked mine up off Amazon for around $25.00 new.

Thanks

Rick

I found the same thing - there are so many patterns that they might as well say "tie anything on a tiny hook". It's a fun book, but I think it's way too broad. With all the info available on the interwebs, the problem isn't finding fly patterns, the problem is discerning which are worth tying. This book will not help you much on the latter problem.

It is great to get the creative juices flowing though - it will definitely give you a million ideas.

But if you're looking for a book to say "Tie this and this, and fish them this way..." then this is not the book for that.

I'm not familiar with "Modern Midges" but I can recommend "Midge Magic" by Don Holbrook, a Pennsylvania Fly Fisher. I found it entertaining and informative but not overwhelming.

How about the classic "Fishing the Midge" by the late Ed Koch.

I have both of the other books Midge Magic and Fishing The Midge ,thanks

I haven't seen it yet. I waiting for it on Inter library loan to see if I want to buy it.

Listening to Mr. Takahashi on Ask About Fly Fishing it seems like he likes trying out new colors "just because." He talks about having thread, wire and beads and just combining them cause they look aesthetically pleasing to him. I think he said he is an art teacher. He seems to say that they all work at one time or another, no matter how weird they look.

Back