moderate action / bamboo

S

springer1

I've been using a 7'6" bamboo 4wt I made for a few months now - on small streams and I gotta say I like the slower action. I mean I REALLY like it.

I'm going to make an E-glass or S-glass rod as well, either a 7' 3 wt or a 7'6" 4 wt and see how that compares, if any of you have experience with the Lamiglass or Steffen blanks, please let me know.

But FWIW, if you haven't tried an alternative to all the newer fast & moderate-fast rods you might want to try something different out.

For small streams I have been using an s-glass Lamiglas 7' 3 wt. I had built about a dozen years ago. For me graphite doesn't load at the short distances encountered on small streams. I don't know how the newer Lami's compare, they are e-glass. Steffens are also s-glass and are highly regarded. You can ask questions and find a lot of information on the fiberglass flyrodders forum.

my 2 favorite small stream rods are a bamboo banty 3wt and a FH Paddock glass 3-4wt, both around 6 or 6'6" in lenght. I also love my mcfarland 7'6" yellow glass rod for "bigger" small streams.
some folks love how the slower action rods work on small waters(or bigger waters as well), some folks love how fast rods work on small waters also. it's all in how you like to cast and what works for you. I think too many people fall for all the marketing hype about rod actions and such, instead of finding out what works for them and how they like to cast.
for me, it's almost always glass or bamboo, with glass getting the edge lately.

Did you actually make the whole thing, strips and all? I'm getting the itch real bad to buy some planning forms. Just have to get quite a bit of work done in the house first.

Forgot to mention, South Fork Rod Co. has a Classic series of rods built on Lamiglas fiberglass blanks, and a Fiberglass series that they roll themselves, "they" being David and Margo Redington who need no introduction. Both series are offered as blanks too. Also Phil Baldacchino at Kettle Creek Tackle Shop has a line of Riffle fiberglass rods and blanks.

Did you actually make the whole thing, strips and all? I'm getting the itch real bad to buy some planning forms. Just have to get quite a bit of work done in the house first.
I bought the 2 piece blank (w 2 tips) from Anglers Roost. Bought the ferrrules from there as well - honing them was the hardest part. Bought the grip, handle set, thread & guides from several other suppliers.

Before I started buildig the rod, I first made a wood case with lined slots to keep the 3 pieces stored straight until I had sealed & finished them.

Also Phil Baldacchino at Kettle Creek Tackle Shop has a line of Riffle fiberglass rods and blanks.
Thanks! I'll call him & find out more info on his blanks.

bikerfish wrote:
my 2 favorite small stream rods are a bamboo banty 3wt and a FH Paddock glass 3-4wt, both around 6 or 6'6" in lenght. I also love my mcfarland 7'6" yellow glass rod for "bigger" small streams.
some folks love how the slower action rods work on small waters(or bigger waters as well), some folks love how fast rods work on small waters also. it's all in how you like to cast and what works for you. I think too many people fall for all the marketing hype about rod actions and such, instead of finding out what works for them and how they like to cast.
for me, it's almost always glass or bamboo, with glass getting the edge lately.

Agree with the above completely....different strokes for different folks...literally...lol.

Cast a bunch of different rods and actions and pick what works best for you.

One thing about casting different rods - I find that the rods feel very different when actually fishing them when compared to lawn casting. If you can actually get a rod on the water you can see how it works on the stream where you intend to use it.
I know this is rarely possible but after building up a rod (based on its reputation - I didn't try it first) and finding out it wasn't for me I have since always cast a rod before buying/building and if I can't try it I don't buy it.
About Steffen rods -I have the glass 8' 3/4 wt which I think performs wonderfully - Hard to describe but as a point of reference I think most Wonderrods are too soft for me but the Steffen is good.
Either way I like it with flies size 10 or smaller. Although you wouldn't think of it it even handled a couple split shot no problem.

Go for it (buy a set of planning forms) you will never look back.

Joe E

Quote:

Also Phil Baldacchino at Kettle Creek Tackle Shop has a line of Riffle fiberglass rods and blanks.

Thanks! I'll call him & find out more info on his blanks.
Thanks again, after speaking with Phil, I ordered a 7' blank 3/4 wt. (2 piece).

Back