MITCH'S BOBBIN WHIRLER

flyfishermanj

flyfishermanj

Guys and Gals,

Has anyone purchased or used Mitch's Bobbin Whirler. Need to replace my dubbing loop tool and seen this. Any feedback will be appreciated.

JH

I have not used that exact bobbin, but I have tried similar tools. I don't like it. It might just be something that you have to get used to, but including the tying thread in the loop adds a third strand of thread and means that if your material is longer than you need you have to unwind before tying off.
There are some instructions floating around for modifying a regular bobbin with a paperclip and some rubberbands to acheive the same end. Not a long term solution, but it would let you at least try out the concept before buying the tool. I don't know if I should link to other forums here, so just google "paperclip bobbin twirler" and take a look.
Mike.

Mike,

Thank you!! Might just try the bobbin pin one out before I pay $30.

JH

bobbin4.jpg

make note of the $63 MSRP bobbin with integrated super threader hook tool loop awesome making device in this picture.

do you see it?

i have had many different kinds of dubbing whirlers, including $63 bobbins and ones with lots of little hooked arms and nonsense.

none of them are as painfully simple as a hook with a hefty hunk of metal.

gfen wrote:

none of them are as painfully simple as a hook with a hefty hunk of metal.

+1

Piece of a coat hanger epoxied into a cabinet knob has treated me well.

8249137108_bf57fa7541_z.jpg

I placed 2 magnets around a paperclip for mine.

Sorry to continue off track...but the paperclip/thinner wire makes perfect sense. My tool gets the job done, but the thickness of the hanger metal leaves a slightly wider loop (for loose materials to fall out and all over the place) that needs to get spun shut.

I would say that I'll experiment to work out something better, but until I feel the need...I'll sick w/ my current setup.

Great info guys, thanks! Have been looking for a spinning tool, but never though of making my own. I will be spending my $30 on materials now instead of a tool!

JH

Back