Mirage Leaders

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

Is the Orvis "Mirage" leader worth the extra $$$? I ask this because an article I read suggested using only "Mirage" tippet when fishing an emerger.

fadeaway263 wrote:
Is the Orvis "Mirage" leader worth the extra $$$? I ask this because [color=CC0000]an article I read suggested using only "Mirage" tippet when fishing an emerger.[/color]

I think that article was written by Joe Orvis...lol.

I use fluoro tippet mostly for nymphing, and happen to use Orvis "Mirage" only because a receive coupons from Orvis on a regular basis and the Orvis store is close to where I live. Also I stick with it because I like the fact that all the Orvis the spools snap together, so I never change brands...lol.

I'm not really sure that fluoro is less visible or sinks better than regular mono; I use it because it is very abrasion resistant. I am constantly scraping the bottom when I nymph and find fluoro works best for me.

Not really a big deal Fade, IMO. Mirage is okay, a lot of guys swear by Rio and Frogs Hair fluoro, if you care to try some out. Good luck.

I've caught a lot of trout on emergers on non-Mirage leaders so I guess there are exceptions. I've used them on ocassion and don't find them better or worse than other brands (Rio, FrogHair, Scientific Anglers...)

Mirage and other fluro is good for emergers b/c it's easy to get unweighted flies in the tricky film zone for longer. That 1-4" below surface is tough to get a long drag in with mono without greasing up/zinking down.

fluorocarbon leaders. i will be tying leaders with the last three sections fluoro, also fluoro wet leaders. next step in the evolution leader line up. also coming full line of steelhead leaders, reg. , bright butt and fluoro tippet sections.

as always when ready, you can count on some samples.

your friend,

maxima

Back