Minnesota Fisherman Digs the Penn Scene

B

Billems

I've hung around here for a while, but never introduced myself. I live in St. Paul, MN, and mainly fish the rivers of Western, Wisconsin, which are only 20-40 miles away. I'm a jazz drummer and a freelance journalist, though mainly retired from those. I am caretaker to my wife, who is in a wheelchair. When I was learning the fly rod, beginning in '92, I read a lot of texts on how to go about it (took no class, had no teachers). The Pennsylvania authors were the guys who taught me things that put fish in my net. I thinking of George Harvey and his dry fly leader. Trout tactics is another. I used to write George, who always offered advice and invited me out to fish with him. I had a new family at the time and hadn't the money or time to do it. But I loved the guy, and grew fond of reading books by Ed Shenk, Charley Fox, and Vince Marinaro. I'm a dry fly guy, mainly, soft-hackle guy next, and nymph when I have to. I fish with bamboo rods and Hardy reels, though both are above my pay station. But something in life oughta be good, eh? Best wishes to all you guys out there in your beautiful state. Have a great season.

Wow, Billems, your introduction to FF roughly parallels mine, but about 15 years later. Thanks for sharing. Brightened my morning.

Welcome to you from Central, PA. It's nice to read those kinds of stories. I met George in his later years tying at a New Jersey fly show. He was nice and right to the point. I loved that.

welcome aboard.
GG

Very nice intro. Welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Back