Minnesota Driftless

jifigz

jifigz

Hey folks,

Considering I live in Central PA, would the Minnesota Driftless region be a worthwhile fishing excursion? I would kind of like to take a trip that is a little different than most and focus on trout, but I don't want to get there and be let down. I know they have a lot of spring creeks all through the driftless region and it would be a summer time trip, so I would assume that I could find cold water all summer. My aunt lives in Minnesota, so it would do double-duty as I would stop in and see her and whatnot, too.

Does anyone have any insight on this region? Would it impress me as far as what I am used to finding her in Central PA? I have no serious plans to go at this point, but I am gather intel for a little sumpin-sumpin.

I fished some Driftless Area streams in Wisconsin and enjoyed it a lot. Lots of wild browns. It would probably be similar in Minnesota.

I was there in July and it was very hot. Probably late May or early June would be more comfortable.

I fished some Driftless Area streams in Wisconsin and enjoyed it a lot. Lots of wild browns. It would probably be similar in Minnesota.

I was there in July and it was very hot. Probably late May or early June would be more comfortable.
But the water was still nice and cold, right?

But the water was still nice and cold, right?
If you fish up near the headwater springs, yes the water is cold. Further downstream it got up to 70-72F.

Of course the smaller spring creeks stay cooler than the bigger creeks.

So it's a lot like in PA. Except that there are fewer trees along the streams there, so less shade.

Hey folks,

Considering I live in Central PA, would the Minnesota Driftless region be a worthwhile fishing excursion? I would kind of like to take a trip that is a little different than most and focus on trout, but I don't want to get there and be let down. I know they have a lot of spring creeks all through the driftless region and it would be a summer time trip, so I would assume that I could find cold water all summer. My aunt lives in Minnesota, so it would do double-duty as I would stop in and see her and whatnot, too.

Does anyone have any insight on this region? Would it impress me as far as what I am used to finding her in Central PA? I have no serious plans to go at this point, but I am gather intel for a little sumpin-sumpin.
I’ve fished the Mn driftless area, I’ve never heard it called that but I’ll go with it. I won’t give specific streams. Keep in mind that because it is much farther north than Pa the season doesn’t get going until around the first of June. Even then it’s dicey. Many of the streams are spring creeks, note necessarily limestone streams but fertile just the same. It’ll take research. There are several books about the region and Mn DNR has information on streams. Adjacent to Mn is Iowa and there are trout streams there too.

Minnesota DNR makes it quite easy to find info on streams regarding trout fishing. Minnesota themselves define the area as the Driftless Region.

I've fished the driftless (WI) multiple times in the high summer. You'll find cold water. As the above comment mentioned there's not as much shade to be found so I always went out early and was on the stream by dawn. If MN is anything like the WI DNR you'll find plenty of marked public access. WI DNR also has GIS maps of the public land boundary's along with parking spots. Since there is so much water I really never ran into other anglers.

Rosenbauer had a MN guide from the driftless on his show about year ago, I'll try to find it update this with a link.

Found it: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...on-of-the-midwest/id278930814?i=1000486707850

Also found one on the WI driftless: https://news.orvis.com/fly-fishing/podcast-wonders-midwests-driftless-area-mat-wagner

Last edited:
Until today I always associated the "driftless region" with Wisconsin. But I read a report about stream restoration in Minnesota earlier today.

Last edited:
The Wet Fly Swing podcast also had on a woman who guides there a few months (years?) ago, and I kinda remember it being informative? (Half hearted recommendation, I know; not my favorite podcast.)

I had a trip pretty well planned for last spring. Was going to visit a (non angler) buddy in Minneapolis, party for a night, then drive out to a cabin for a couple days, then return for a final night in the city. Unfortunately, his long-term relationship imploded months before and he ended up in Minneapolis no more.

Until today I always associated the "drifters region" with Wisconsin. But I read a report about stream restoration in Minnesota earlier today.
The Driftless region is in parts of Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois. I believe Wisconsin has the largest piece of the region.

Back