Mini mini road trip

R

rhnam

Hi all,

Been checking out this forum a bunch, all good stuff. Haven't been posting much, hopefully that'll change.

So I'm in school right now and I'm done with the semester on Thursday. I haven't been fishing since last fall cause my classes have been kicking my a*s. Nonetheless, I'm free come Friday. I'm planning on heading down to visit some family in Northern VA. I'm currently located in NYC. And am thinking of taking a really long day on Saturday and taking my time fishing, hopefully, a handful of spots on my way down to VA.

I've never fished in PA, other than the PA side of the Delaware. Can anyone suggest fishing creek/spots to check out. I'm not looking for your secret stash just places I can finally decompress and do a bit of fishing. I'm planning on taking 78 out of NYC to Harrisburg then 15 down south to VA. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rich

The Yellow Breeches is just off 15 south of Harrisburg. It still has a lot of fish in it.

There are numerous streams along the way both along rt. 15 and I 81 that come off of the Blue Ridge/South Mountain. Michael State Forest is a good place to start for solitude.

Rich,
Your route covers a very large swath of the state with countless fishing opportunities. Among the better known counties to check out along your route would be Lehigh, Dauphin, Cumberland, and Franklin. Try the "Where to Fly Fish" link on the upper right side of this page. Since you're new to the state, I'd recommend checking out some of the well known trout streams with special regulations. Also, keep an eye on the Stream Reports forum as the waters are listed by county and you can get a feel for conditions and hatches.

If you haven't seen the Cabelas store off I78, it is worth a stop too.

Back