Mini Aquaseal Tubes (0.25 oz)

Swattie87

Swattie87

Talking about the real little ones that come in the repair kits with a couple of patches for like $8. Does anyone know if there is a way to buy these (just the mini Aquaseal tubes, not the whole kit) in bulk? If not, I may call them and ask.

Tired of buying the big tubes, using like 1/10 of it, and then being unable to get it open again, or freezing it, and then the tube failing when you roll it to get the product out. Effectively, you only get one use per tube where it isn’t a total PITA to work with, and generally no more than two uses period before the tube is shot one way or the other.

Hence why I like the real small ones...Use it, and throw the tube away when you’re done. Unless you’re seam sealing a whole pair of waders (in which case you just need to buy new waders) I’ve found the small ones are plenty for small acute tears, scrapes, or punctures...The kind of things AS is very effective at repairing. Doesn’t make sense to buy the kits to get the small ones though when you can get the larger ones for the same price (about $8) just without the patches. I have plenty of patch material laying around since many new pairs of waders come with it.

Not looking for AS storage advice. Been there, tried that. The stuff works great, as long as it’s from an unopened tube.

McNett, the folks that made Aquaseal was sold and renamed Gear Aid late last year.

Aquaseal is still out there but it now is called Aquaseal FD and comes in a black tube versus the old white one.

Gear Aid offers a three pack of .25 oz tubes of just Aquaseal for $10.00 and a repair kit with one tube of Aquaseal, patches & a brush in a storage tube for $7.50.

I didn't check retailers.

https://www.gearaid.com/products/aquaseal-repair-adhesive?variant=28044138257

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks guys.

Just ordered a few 3 packs direct from them...I knew it was under the GA flag now, just don't know how that option didn't come up in my searches. (Or how I missed it maybe?)

Thanks for taking the time to read and post.

Swattie... Good post! I agree with your frustration of using AS 1 time and then not being able to use the tube again.

I will likely buy that 3 pack as well. Did GA charge shipping?

Yes. $9 or so. I bought 3 3-packs to justify the shipping in my head. Worth it for the convenience IMO to have the smaller, disposable tubes. I didn't see anything about hitting a threshold for free shipping, but there might be if you order enough.

I know everyone here already knows this, but for those that don't; Aquaseal is about impossible to get completely off of your hands with any solvent so:

WEAR LATEX OR NITRILE GLOVES WHEN USING AQUASEAL!!

If you get messy with the stuff, you'll be glad you did.

Also, invest in a bottle or two of the Cure Accelerator (formerly Cotol-240) for all-day outings or multi-day trips and keep it with your extra gear in your pack, car or back at camp.

If you need to make a wader repair during or after a day of fishing, you will be able to use your patched waders within two hours versus overnight!!

Don't leave home without it! ;-)

Bamboozle wrote:
I know everyone here already knows this, but for those that don't; Aquaseal is about impossible to get completely off of your hands with any solvent so:

WEAR LATEX OR NITRILE GLOVES WHEN USING AQUASEAL!!

If you get messy with the stuff, you'll be glad you did.

Also, invest in a bottle or two of the Cure Accelerator (formerly Cotol-240) for all-day outings or multi-day trips and keep it with your extra gear in your pack, car or back at camp.

If you need to make a wader repair during or after a day of fishing, you will be able to use your patched waders within two hours versus overnight!!

Don't leave home without it! ;-)

They also make Aquaseal UV which cures almost instantly with sunlight or a UV light.

https://www.gearaid.com/products/aquaseal-adhesive-uv

I got mine off of Amazon and it showed up next day. I also got it ALL OVER my hands, and wiped them down with isopropyl alcohol first then acetone and it seemed to work between the two of them. Definitely keeping it around for my sad wading boots who have seen better days!

afishinado wrote:

They also make Aquaseal UV which cures almost instantly with sunlight or a UV light.

^ I've tried this. Good for if you're in a pinch on a trip without a backup pair of waders and need an immediate fix, provided it's a sunny day. (I don't carry a UV light with me!) :p

That being said, the times I've used it, it doesn't hold up as well as traditional AS long term. The UV stuff did ok as a temporary fix, and got me through the trip, but it eventually separated from the wader material and peeled away, and I had to repair it again with traditional AS. The UV stuff cures much harder and less flexible than traditional AS, which is quite flexible after cured...I suspect that was the issue. Traditional AS used on small holes, tears, or scrapes will outlast the waders.

They each have their place IMO, just understand the strengths and weaknesses of each. The UV stuff cures quick and is good for an emergency repair when you need to use the waders again immediately, or within the next 24 hours.

I like to let traditional AS cure AT LEAST 24 hours before I use the waders. Typically when I do a repair with it at home, I'll bench those waders for a week...Let them completely dry for 3 or 4 days, repair them with the AS, and let them go unused for another 3 or 4 days to confirm a good cure. If I fish during that time, I pull out a backup/beater pair.

afishinado wrote:

I saw that too, but I wouldn't be tempted to do a field repair with it...

As an example, I carry Loon UV Knot Sense with me for emergency repairs, mostly to fly lines. In my experience it is VERY, VERY hard to use the stuff outside unless it is very overcast and I am talking about applying a drop.

I can imagine a disaster trying to patch waders. If it was me, I'd consider the UV version only for repairs done indoors with a UV light which would be faster than two hours for the regular stuff which brings up another point...

...if the UV version is as good as the regular stuff, could one assume that since it is cured by UV only that the drying out problem which necessitated the smaller tubes of the regular Aquaseal is no longer a problem??

Bamboozle wrote:

As an example, I carry Loon UV Knot Sense with me for emergency repairs, mostly to fly lines. In my experience it is VERY, VERY hard to use the stuff outside unless it is very overcast and I am talking about applying a drop.

The AS UV must be a different formula. The times I've used it on cloudy days I've struggled to get it to cure. It did, but it certainly took longer than the prescribed times...I assume those are with direct sunlight available.

Just bought a tube of Aquaseal FD. Package says to store in freezer.

All my Aquaseal annoyances pretty much went away when I began storing the partially used tubes in the freezer AND took the time to aspirate (by squeezing the tube gently a few times) the stuff away from the opening and back down into the main tube once I was done with it. When I want to use it, I thaw it under warm water and away we go. Never had an issue once I stated doing this. I've got a dozen or more small repairs out of the same tube over a year's time or more.

FWIW..

my experience with putting it in the freezer is the same- no problem using it multiple times. I also take care to wipe the threads on the tube and cap before closing to make sure it closes tightly. Dried or partly dried material in the cap prevents a tight seal and increased loss of solvent.

You guys have achieved AS Master Jedi status!

What prompted this thread was I just took my most recent larger tube out of the freezer (used once previously), let it thaw for 24 hours, (the cap came off fine with no clog in the neck) then rolled/squeezed it to get the product out. The tube cracked and failed where I rolled it and I had AS coming out of both ends of the tube...like usual after freezing it. The AS material is fine and doesn't dry out when you store it in the freezer, but the tube fails in my experience.

It was a total mess, but I managed to make my desired repair. Threw about 50% or more of the material away when I was done...Got two uses out of that tube.

I'll be using the smaller size ones and throwing them out after one use moving forward. I make maybe 2 or 3 small wader repairs/year on average. Can stomach the $9 for 3 of them.

Actually, when all is said and done Mr. Swattie, I think your way is probably the best and what I intend to do going forward.

I can only abide catching hell from Sr. Management for, and I quote.. "putting that goop too close to the Birdseye frozen peas" so many times before I start looking at avoidant alternatives...:)

Back