Millport Conservancy

Schaefer406

Schaefer406

Hey All,

I recently became a member of Lancaster County's Donegal TU chapter. I am really intereseted in fishing the Millport Conservancy once temperatures drop and the water cools off. How/where do I purchase my button at? There is hardly any information or direction online as to where I purchase this. Other than that, I can't wait to become involved!

Yo Schae

Precision fly shop in Lancaster should be able to help you.

Thanks! I love precision.

On the Millport Conservancy Q&A web page it states that you can get fishing badge from the Donegal Trout Unlimited.

Thanks! I love precision.

I took a fly fishing class not long ago with Tom at Precision and bought my badge from him while attending the class at Lititz Run. There were only three of us and the father and son duo were first timers.

None of us caught any fish, but there were sporadic violent rises and then nothing for a while. I couldn't see what the trout were rising to and Tom couldn't figure it out either.

I was surprised how many big trout are in that small stream.

Good luck with fishing there.

Canoetripper wrote:

None of us caught any fish, but there were sporadic violent rises and then nothing for a while. I couldn't see what the trout were rising to and Tom couldn't figure it out either.

Maybe they were hitting grasshoppers. There a loads of grasshoppers around this year.

You could be right. I know that I took the course back in June and didn't notice any insects that large on the surface. I think that it was some kind of midge that my declining eyes couldn't see.

The instructor couldn't tell either. We were all fishing nymphs under a strike indicator.

troutbert wrote:
Canoetripper wrote:

Maybe they were hitting grasshoppers. There a loads of grasshoppers around this year.

More likely hitting anything that looked like a floating food pellet floating through that artificial fishery.

Hit one of the meetings of the Donegal TU club you joined. That's where I got mine. I haven't checked the temp of that water in a bit but, it should be fishable early mornings, cloudy days and maybe even evenings.

I went to Millport for the first time last weekend early AM. I had a lot of strikes using my nymphing setup (a walts as my tag fly and a flash perdigon as my lead) and caught 1 really big stocked brown. It kind of looked like a holdover of some sort because it didn't have those traditional newly stocked colors and patterns on it. There were some nice runs there, but the water levels were low due to a lack of rain. I'll definitely be returning there, but I want to give it a break till fall to let the fish rest. Time to hit the Gunpowder! The water there was FIFTY this week... god bless tailwater fisheries!

i just started fishing there -- last week. i live nearby. the pan fish took my nymphs and streamers. the trout behaved like pond or hatchery trout. i'm wondering nymph set up did you use(Schaefer406). otherwise, i'm going to experiment with my pellet flies and see how that goes. i really dont want to but i do want to see if this the type of trout i'm working with.

thanks,

fig

Back